Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk 1 QUICK (303) Error after Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Giatros

Giatros

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Hi all,
I just bought a new computer HP Envy 15 from amazon. Link to amazon: Link to amazon laptop

Processor
2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor 2.20GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.10GHz

Windows 7 Home Premium Logo
Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Display
15.6-inch diagonal Radiance Full HD Infinity LED-backlit display (1920 x 1080)

Memory (RAM)
8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Hard Drive
750GB 7200RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

Weight & Dimensions (w x d x h)
5.79 lbs; 14.96" x 9.60" x 1.11"

Wireless
Intel 2x2 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN + Bluetooth® with WiDi

Optical Drive
Slot-loading SuperMulti DVD burner

Video Graphics
Radeon™ HD 7690M switchable graphics with 1024MB GDDR5 and up to 5093MB total graphics memory

I was using the laptop and all of a sudden a got a blue screen show up and then my computer rebooted.
When it started again it said can't find recovery partition and it will not move past this stage.
I looked the error and someone recommended hardrive diagnostics via the bios menu. I opened up the bios menu and did the self hard drive check and it came back as "Hard Disk 1 QUICK (303)"

According to google this means that my hard drive is shot!
Yay for a new laptop but I have loaded all my data from my past laptop onto this one and really really need it back.I have a medical licensing exam coming up and all my notes are on said computer. I do not have a backup unfortunately. I didn't expect this kind of issue so soon.

I have parted magic and can access my computer but can't seem to access files through it. I used a program call "testdisk" which is a tool within parted magic and it allows me to see the files on my hard drive but I don't know much about data recovery so I exited the program and left it alone.

Since my computer is very new I don't care about the hardware because I expect that hp will replace it. What I do care about are some files that are on the hard drive that I would like to recover.

I have never used linux but I know how to boot any linux distribution from my usb so I can do that if it will help. I also have a 1TB hard drive (larger than my laptop hard drive which is 750gb) available to use for whatever purpose.

Also of note I did not hear any noises coming from my hard drive before I got the blue screen.
I did not believe that I installed any new software etc either.
I did notice that my computer was freezing sometimes when I used flash programs with firefox but I had thought that was a problem with flash not my computer hardware. Now I guess I was wrong.

I also used a utility in parted magic call "disk health" and i generated some logs files from it but I'm not entirely sure what they mean. I have attached them to this post.

Thank you for reading and I really really appreciate your help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Just the man I was thinking of ...

From the SMART data:
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       40

Therein lies your problem: Bad sectors on the hard drive most likely, with consequent loss of data etc.

Give me a moment and I will return with instructions for you to recover your files using TestDisk.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Find and retrieve your files to a USB-connected flashdrive or external hard drive using TestDisk.

Start TestDisk.
  • Choose [Create] and press <ENTER>
    • TestDisk will now detect all local hard drives.
  • Use the arrow (up and down) keys to highlight the disk that represents your primary hard drive and press <ENTER>
    (If you are not sure then note everything you see and post it for my review.)
  • Select [Intel] and press <ENTER>
  • Select [Analyse], and press <ENTER>
  • Select [Quick Search] and press <ENTER>
  • Press Y.

You will see your partitions listed.

(If you do not see all your partitions listed, then press <ENTER> to go to [Deeper Search] and press <ENTER> again to begin the search for more partitions. Please be patient while the search completes: It will take some time.

This is the starting point from which you can investigate the content of each of the partitions listed.

Let's look in your <PARTITION> (substitute your own partition name) partition ...
  • Use the Up/Down arrow keys to select the <PARTITION> partition.
  • Press P to list the contents of that partition.
  • Use the Up/Down arrow keys to select a folder to explore, from among the list of files and folders.
  • Press the right-arrow key to open that folder and see the contents listed.
    Use the left-arrow/right-arrow keys to move up and down respectively through the folder tree.
    Doing this, you should be able to navigate the contents of the partition and see all files in all folders.
Success?

Now, let's retrieve your files from the <PARTITION> folder ...

At the root of your <PARTITION> partition, use the Up/Down arrow keys to select a file or folder to copy.
Note: If you select a folder, the entire contents will be copied!
I have chosen to start at the root of the partition, but if there is nothing there that you wish to copy, simply navigate to whatever file or folder that you wish to retrieve, and select (highlight) it.
[*]Press C to copy the item.
[*]Now choose a location to save the item.
  • By default, I think you will find that the flashdrive on which you have TestDisk will be selected. You need to navigate to the external HDD you wish to save your items.

Navigation could be tricky: Try the following ...
  • Press the left-arrow key, and you will see a list of your hard drives.
    • (In my case, the flashdrive with TestDisk is sdc1, and my external HDD is sdd1.)
  • Use the Up/Down arrow keys to select the hard drive on which you wish to save your items.
    (If you wish to use a folder on that hard drive, use the right-arrow key to navigate into that partition.)
[*]When you are sure that you have the correct destination entered, type Y.
Be patient: If there is a lot of data to be copied, it may take some time.[*]With any luck you will see the message "Copy done!".
[/list]
Success?
--------------

If you wish to get out of TestDisk and close the Terminal ....
  • Press Q repeatedly until TestDisk closes.
  • Close the Terminal Window.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

I know this is an old topic but I received the Hard Disk 1 QUICK (303) Error on my daughter's laptop last night when running a diagnostic test. I found this topic while searching for information on the error.

So he case others do the same, according to HP a Hard Disk 1 QUICK (303) error indicates a failing hard drive.

Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista) - Failure/Error Codes
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users