Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista doesn’t shut down

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jaguer

jaguer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hello and best wishes for the forum, this is my first time here. My PC has Windows Vista Home Basic SP1, 1GB of RAM, dual 2 GHz processor.

The problem is that Vista doesn’t shut down since about one week ago.

When clicking on the OFF icon during normal session, the machine starts the process but gets only to a screen of closing session and keeps that way (doesn’t reach the turning off the computer screen); pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn’t respond, nor the physical ON/OFF button, with no choice but to disconnect the electricity.

When turning on the PC again, starts the menu for safe mode because Windows was not closed properly at the last session. If Vista is shut down from safe mode, it logs out and shuts down with no problems.

Thank you so much for your valuable support, I really don´t know what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

1) At some point you are going to need to run chkdsk /r after all of the hard shutdowns you've been doing. To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

3) Does the system shut down properly from safe mode?

#4 jaguer

jaguer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Thank you very much for your responses, I really appreciate them. Sorry for the delay, my pc is out of order as explained further below.

Answers:
SYSTEM MANUFACTURER:
Lenovo Thinkcentre A57, model 9702AB7.

SOMETHING NEW OR DIFFERENT:
- One odd thing I'd recently noticed maybe 2 days before the problem started, is that an installed virtual CD/DVD program, although isn’t in use, used to appear in the Processes of Windows Task Manager but stopped coming. On July 18th I noticed that the process is active again. (I´m used to opening Windows task manager on a daily basis because my pc is very slow, as to manually stop any process as needed.)

- Another odd thing: My PC has Vista-Linux dual-booting, controlled by Vista. Right after the Vista problem began, I tried to boot into Linux with no success, and so remains as of today. Can't tell when this problem started, because I hadn't booted into Linux since several days ago. (The Vista bootloader, by using a 3rd party program, correctly presents the screen of menu to select either Vista or Linux; once selected Linux, the first, never seen before by me, Linux text-mode screen hangs, and ctrl+alt+del restarts. I haven't focused on the Linux problem yet, waiting to solve the Vista one first.)

- After the problem started and just to be sure, two days ago (July 16) I ran my installed anti-virus, anti-malware and a couple of online scanners The following three threats were detected in their respective files, by three different scans:
- “Name: Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT.” (The respective file wasn't or isn't in use)
- “Description: Virus/Trojan, Type: Trj/CI.A, Active: No, Disinfected: no.” (File wasn't or isn't in use)
- “Description: a variant of Win32/InstallCore.D. Action taken: Cleaned by deleting - quarantined.” (File recently had been used once unintentionaly, never used before.)

SHUTDOWN FROM SAFE MODE:
Yes, the system shuts down properly from safe mode.

CHKDSK:
Ran chkdsk /r, exited Dos prompt, clicked the reboot instruction on Windows with no response, then clicked the currently non-working off icon, ctrl+alt+del, and physical switch, then had to make a hard shutdown, and booted. The usual Windows Error Recovery screen appeared, selected Start Windows Normally, but no signs of chkdsk process. I started Dos prompt and an empty Dos screen with just a blinking underscore showed up, no way to type “chkdsk” or “exit” (just to click the closing “X” al the top corner), then another hard shutdown, repeated the above, and same results. (I think that the unfinished shutdown process didn't allow to prepare the chkdsk /r at rebooting.) At the end of the day things got more complicated, as follows.

NEW PROBLEM STARTING ON JULY 18TH, COMPUTER IS OUT OF ORDER:
After a couple of hard shutdowns trying to run chkdsk /r (as described in the preceding paragraph), at an attempt to booting, a new (for me) Windows Error Recovery screen appeared, which indicates:

“Windows failed to start... To fix the problem:
1.Insert your windows installation disc ...
2. ...
3. Click “Repair your computer”
Other options:
If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windows Normally ...
Safe mode
Safe mode with netwoking
Safe mode with command prompt
Last known good configuration (advanced)
Start Windows normally”

Choosing any of the safe modes from the above menu, the system hangs when the text-mode screen shows loading of drivers and gets to the line: “Loaded: \Windows\System32\crcdisk.sys.” Pressing ctrl+alt+del restarts, and pushing the on/off power button turns the machine off. (No hard shutdown needed.)

Choosing any of the other options, the system hangs at the first graphical screen, the one with the progress bars (Loading Windows, if I remember correctly), and behaves similar to the mentioned above, as if it were stuck at the same line of crcdisk.sys. Similarly, a ctrl+alt+del and on/off button do the same as above, i.e., same cycle repeats with the five options from the menu.

(Haven't done the Windows installation disc repairing that the menu indicates. Fyi, I have a Vista recovery CD rather than the installation DVD if needed.)

(By the way, the former Windows Error Recovery screen I was used to knowing before, is the one with four modes for startup, rather than five, with no instructions for using the Windows installation disc, and hasn't showed up again since the new problem arose.)

Then, the only way I have to use my computer is via a Linux Live-Cd session.

So now I need new help please, in order to get back to my normal life. Thanks a lot.

Edited by jaguer, 21 July 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#5 jaguer

jaguer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hello? Allan? Louis?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

<<When clicking on the OFF icon...>>

What OFF icon might that be? You should be clicking the Windows shutdown menu, not the power button on the computer system. Using the power button...should result in the notification about Windows not being shut down properly.

http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=5173

I suggest that you try running the chkdsk /r command...several times...if you've made a habit of doing hard shutdowns.

Louis

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hello jaguer,

When you press the F8 key after starting the computer, do you have a "Repair your Computer" option on the Advanced Boot Options Menu? This would be the menu where the various Safe Mode options are.

Let us know.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

I just sounds like you've been having a lot of issues. Three viruses / trojans were identified; you have to use Task Manager on a regular basis to shut down processes because the system is slow; after running chkdsk /r the system doesn't want to boot; the system will not shut down properly.

Sorry, if I were you I'd format and start from scratch. But FIRST, I'd run a thorough diagnostic on the hd (see below):

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnosti
c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users