Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes after startup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

Good day everyone,

In the past month, my computer has been giving me a particular problem and it has been getting worse. At random times when I start up my computer, it will freeze as soon as the desktop and all the icons appear. The mouse can be moved but when ever a program or button is clicked, the hourglass cursor will appear and just stay that way resulting in nothing being able to be done. Also, I have noticed that when this problem occurs, no icons load in my taskbar, just the clock is displayed.

What I proceed to do varies greatly. I either restart manually (A FEW TIMES) by pressing the restart button and this may then result in everything booting normally OR I would have to restart it a few times, plug out the power supply, plug it back in, restart a few times, plug it out, back in, restart AND then it will work. Number of repetitions vary and I really don't know what causes it to vary.

It should also be pointed out that this does not occur all the time. Sometimes, the computer boots up perfectly normal. The problem occurs about 70% of the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am quite stumped. Thank you so much! :D

Regards,
Aaron M.

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

1) First thing you need to do is boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

3) Does the same thing happen when you boot to safe mode?

#3 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

In regards to your first instructions, do I need a Windows CD or do I just follow the instructions as given under "Running CHKDSK from the Windows Desktop"(https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5097#no-CD)?

Regards,
Aaron M.

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

If you have an XP CD, use it to boot to the Recovery Console. If you don't then do the following: right-click on a command prompt icon and select RUN AS then "administrator". In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

The reason we are doing this, by the way, is because every time you do a "hard shut down" (use the power switch to turn off the computer while still in the Windows Desktop environment) you likely cause some minor anomalies to occur on the hd (lost clusters, etc). I just want to clean those up.

Edited by Allan, 20 July 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#5 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

Alright, will do as per instructed. I read that this will take several hours, so I'll post back when I'm done. In the mean time, I would like to point out that when it does freeze when I boot up, it is getting increasingly harder, that is, I have to restart around 20 to 30 times before it boots up normally. Any suggestions what I can do in the meantime?

Regards,
Aaron M.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Depending on the size and condition of your drive, the chkdsk /r process can take anywhere from 10-15 minutes to an hour or more.

#7 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

Alright, so in response to your first three questions;

1) Yes, I have ran chkdsk/r. (Sorry, a bit confused here but is there any report I am supposed to post up?)

2) The last time I was hit by a virus was about 4 months ago. However, that was all sorted out with help from BC. In regards to this problem, it has been around since June but it would come and then disappear for a while. Only recently has it become quite bad. Since May I have not installed any new hardware. I have installed two new software which is Romaco Timeout (http://www.romacocanada.ca/timeout/) and Spotflux (http://www.spotflux.com/).

3) No, the same thing does not happen when I boot up in Safe Mode.

Regards,
Aaron M.

Edited by Arrow92, 20 July 2012 - 10:04 AM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Well, the fact that you've had a major virus issue (AND it reappeared) is significant. I would not rule out lingering effects. Personally, when someone has had a major infection that continues to haunt them I almost always suggest a reformat and reinstallation of all apps (from scratch). Since it doesn't happen in safe mode here's one thing you can try - but if this doesn't work there's not much else I can suggest:

open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#9 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

Well, I was thinking about reformatting my computer even if this problem gets solved (computer's been a bit laggy). Probably will do so next week. In the mean time, I will do as you advised. Thing is, it happens randomly (but as I said, more frequently recently) so I'm not sure how to identify what did the trick. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. Oh, and I also un-installed one of the programs (Romaco Timeout) that I downloaded around the time this problem started. I doubt it has anything to do with it, but I thought I'll just give it a shot.

Any good guides on BC (or anywhere else) in regards to reformatting a computer? Never reformatted a computer by my self (older brother used to do it). I use Windows XP and I doubt I have the CD (if it's needed). Thanks. :)

Regards,
Aaron M.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Well, intermittent problems are VERY difficult to troubleshoot and candidly, the selective startup probably isn't going to help much with an intermittent issue.

And yes, you absolutely need an OS CD to format and reinstall the OS unless there is a recovery partition on the system that will take you back to "factory shipped" state.

The process is pretty straightforward. You boot to the XP CD and choose the option to format before installing. Then install the OS. Then install all appropriate drivers starting with the chipset driver. Then install a GOOD anti virus app. Then go to Windows Update and download and install all appropriate SOFTWARE updates (never allow Windows Update to install drivers). Then you'll install all of your programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users