Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

combofix bleeped up my computer!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AndyLynn

AndyLynn

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

i appreciate the help i recieve from these boards, but this time, i recieved directions from gringo_pr to use combofix, which totally destroyed my MMO experience. some games like FF14 wont even start, and the ones that do, like TERA and diablo 3 lag like crazy. they ran perfectly before this stupid combofix program, and it's beyond annoying that i dont even know what it did to my computer to reverse it.

can someone please tell this guy NOT to recommend such an awful program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

While I am sorry to hear you ran into some trouble after running Combofix, I also notice you haven't even given your helper the time to reply and help you resolve the issues. Gringo is a trained helper who will be able to help you revert any undesired changes. Any malware removal tool can cause side-effects, which often is not so much due to the tool as due to the malware that messed up a system.

However, please show some respect and consideration as all helpers (including Gringo) are volunteers who offer their free time to help strangers like you.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 AndyLynn

AndyLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

could i please get assistance from someone who knows how to deal with combofix problems? none of the tech supports at the game sites even know what it is.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,204 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Please see my previous post:

I also notice you haven't even given your helper the time to reply and help you resolve the issues. Gringo is a trained helper who will be able to help you revert any undesired changes.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 AndyLynn

AndyLynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

or you could just help me yourself since youre taking the time to answer this thread... i dont have time to wait all day to wait for a response he might or might not have an answer to.

quite frankly a program that powerful shouldnt be recommended off the bat.

Edited by AndyLynn, 18 July 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,204 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

True, combofix is a powerful program, which has however plenty of fail-safes in place that can be used by trained helpers to reverse changes, which I might add a lot of mainstream security programs don't even offer. So, if you are reasoning that way, then no tool can be trusted.

As for your topic; as already pointed out all our helpers do this in their free time, meaning that they also have a life and other responsibilities. We offer free help for everyone, but at the same time we ask you to show some patience and consideration, which at the moment your are not doing. I understand you are frustrated about the problems you are experiencing, but if you don't have time to wait for a reply, then I suggest you take your computer to a repair service where people are paid to provide 24-hour support.

regards, Elise

#7 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

True, combofix is a powerful program, which has however plenty of fail-safes in place that can be used by trained helpers to reverse changes, which I might add a lot of mainstream security programs don't even offer. So, if you are reasoning that way, then no tool can be trusted.

As for your topic; as already pointed out all our helpers do this in their free time, meaning that they also have a life and other responsibilities. We offer free help for everyone, but at the same time we ask you to show some patience and consideration, which at the moment your are not doing. I understand you are frustrated about the problems you are experiencing, but if you don't have time to wait for a reply, then I suggest you take your computer to a repair service where people are paid to provide 24-hour support.

Great answer...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users