Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Streaming Video with Firefox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:07 AM

Hi there!

I can't watch youtube videos in Firefox. I just get the message: "An error occurred, please try again later."
I have the latest Adobe Flash and Firefox releases.

Videos play fine in Chrome but I prefer Firefox. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:24 AM

Hi there. :hello:
I just uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox but no change. What am I doing wrong here? I can't watch any streaming videos on zappos or nytimes or youtube or any online video I've come across since this started. I just don't have any idea what I'm supposed to be checking next.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hi Ubiq,

I just installed Firefox 14 the other day, and your post made me go and have a quick look at YouTube. I hate to say it but the sample vid I picked on played fine. But then again, I tried it in Chrome and that worked as well !

One possibility - there are two versions of Flash, one for IE and one for other browsers. It might be worth going to the Adobe site and downloading the 'other browser' version. Just a thought.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hi Chris! Thanks for responding!

Yes, I had a look at that when I reinstalled Adobe Flash. I picked the "other" version but it hasn't made any difference.
I think my problem might be this. Apparently there is some problem with Flash 11.3. The suggested fix in the link above is to return to an earlier version of Flash. However, this problem started for me with the version before 11.3 so I'm feeling hesitant about trying to figure out how to move to an even earlier version.

There are different versions of this problem in the Mozilla forums but so far nothing anyone has suggested has worked. I'm not the only frustrated person either. I don't think Mozilla's forum setup is doing me any favors so maybe the answer is in there and I just haven't tried it yet. I wish their forum was set up like this one.

Do you think I should try moving to the version before 11.2? I only upgrade Flash when I try to play a video and it tells me I need to upgrade for it to play. So I'm not sure how moving backwards is really gonna help.

Speccy

#5 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

Just a quick post to let everyone know which of Firefox's suggested fixes worked for me. I always appreciate it when people post about a fix that worked for them. It makes searching the forums easier.

I tried all the fixes suggested on this page related to Real Player. None of them worked for me, so I moved on to downgrading Flash 11.3.

Because I felt like I had experienced problems before this current release, I skipped 11.2.
I uninstalled Flash 11.3 with the uninstaller available here. I then followed the instructions on the same page to install 10.3. Now youtube works!! :thumbsup:
However, I'm a little annoyed because I only upgrade Flash when I try to play something and it tells me I need to update for that video to play. This will probably be school related and so I'll end up just switching to Chrome or Safari anyway. :rolleyes:

Speccy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users