Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Space

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stigglez

Stigglez

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

I have a recent Win764 build less than 6 months old, seems to have a virus or something that is making the hard drive space dissapear. The accual contents are 36GB out of 300GB. The computer will display that there is only 3.75GB left out of 300GB. I ran windirstat and tree and it gives me the correct allocation of data. The data matches what is supposed to be on this drive, there is no random file that is taking up 275GB. Leads me to believe that its a Virus, and cannot find to much on the subject. Please Advise? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

Hello Stiglez.

What's reporting you only have 3.7 gig left? (I can't help with the issue if its AV related but we can try to rule out other issues until a mod moves this to malware.)

What is reported from either the command shell when you do a dir or from the drives properties?

What AV do you use and have you updated and done a scan?

Have you tried doing a chkdsk /f from the command line?

With the few details provided this would be what I would check first.

Regards,
Zen

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Louis

#4 johhny

johhny

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

Hi..
Follow the tips this may resolve your problem.
1. The very first step is to install a antivirus program, which help you in deleting malwares.
2. Click on update and update it after installing.
3. After completion of update disconnect the Internet connection. because virus has ability to download more content through modem for filling your hardware memory.
4. Scan the computer and delete all the flagged files
5. Restart computer and hold down the "F8" key during the reboot process to enter Safe Mode
6. restart again in normal mode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users