Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser tab won't go away...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aaflac

Aaflac

Doin' Dis 'n Dat...

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

Would appreciate some assistance.

New to tablets, and trying to figure out a few things.

When the Browser is opened, a tab appears with http://192.168.0.1/Basic-Wizard.html, or similar.

Had attempted to use a portable router, but it was carrier specific to Sprint, and my existing carrier is not Sprint. I think what is showing on the Browser tab are the leftover pages of the Sprint setup wizard.

Have tried to remove these pages, but, it is hit and miss, since I am not familiar with the Android ICS OS. The User Guide does not address this type of issue (remove web pages or tabs).

How can these pages be permanently removed so that the Browser tabs do not appear?
Pressing the [X] on the tab does not do the job.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Old duck...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:02 AM

Not a lot of info to go on there. The "browser" is put there by each manufacturer, set up to whatever that manufacturer decides they want it to be and do. So there's no generic "here's how to fix it" that I know of.

That said, look in the settings while the browser is open to see if there's a boxed ticked for saving the state or session, or maybe automatically saving all tabs when closing.

More about the tablet might be sufficient to get the notice of someone with the same model. Maybe just a mention of the manufacturer will help someone find some commonality with one they own to be of assistance.

I installed Dolphin browser and set it as default. I could help you with that one. But I couldn't even tell you how the default installed browser works on my tablet (Acer Iconia A100) because I didn't like it enough to mess with it very long.

#3 Aaflac

Aaflac

Doin' Dis 'n Dat...

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,307 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

Thank you for your reply.

Tha tablet is a VitalASC ST0716.

Got the problem solved by doing a Factory Data Reset. Just got it recently, and did not have much installed on it.

Clearing history and the cache did not get rid of the tabs. Neither did a reset of the Browser to default settings.

Have a great day!! :busy:

Old duck...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users