Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiping A Drive But Leaving Programs On It...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

I had a friend who said that she paid a guy to fix her comp. He told her that he had completely wiped the drive clean, but left AOL IM on there along with Yahoo IM and a few other things. He said that he reinstalled the OS and left those programs on there when he wiped the drive......? I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but figured I'd ask before I tell her she's been ripped off. I didn't think that you could "wipe a drive clean", but leave programs on there with all their user information intact...can you? Figured I'd ask as I don't know to much about windows "file and settings" transfer wizard thingymabob. She thinks that she got a good deal for $35.....I'm rather skeptical.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:19 AM

You are right. If he "Wiped" the drive that means he over wrote all of the data on that drive. This would destroy all data contained on the drive.
To be fair to him, he simply may have wiped, formated, and did a clean install. He may have assumed you friend did not know th difference and did not wish to take the time to explain. At any rate, if he reinstalled windows he would have had to reinstall all the programs. Windows needs registry entries to use the programs, and they are lost when you re-install windows.
In short if it is working as properly it makes no difference.
I have not used AOL IM in quite a few years. If I remember correctly AOL saves your information on thier servers not you computer, so it does not matter if the IM program was reinstalled or not.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:30 AM

HA! Actually, come to find out, she was ripped off! He told her that he had reinstalled the OS....but she didn't give him the CD's to do it. It's a Dell, so it has to have the Dell drivers (mainly for onboard gfx). Whenever I wipe a Dell computer and reinstall the OS using the cd's that came with it, I always have to reactivate windows because of "a major change in the system" (according to Microsoft). Oddly enough, all the drivers, accessories and junk that came from Dell was still on the computer. Oddly enough, there was still games on there that they bought their kids (ones that you need a disk to install and to play). Basically, he didn't wipe the drive as he said. Seems to me as if he just cleaned up the malware that was on it, gave it back to her and said that he wiped the drive clean and reinstalled the OS and her IM programs. By way of technology not yet known to me, he managed to wipe the drive, reinstall the OS and give her computer back to her exactly like it was when she gave it to him.......weird. Reminds me of area 51 or something. LOL!!!

TBH, I hate to hear about this stuff. It's pathetic. I know a person who had their comptuer worked on by some "average Joe", and when they got it back it wouldn't run some games for their kids. I checked it out and when the guy had worked on it, he stole their radeon 9700 (128mb ddr) out of it and put in an old matrox card that was only 32mb. They ended up getting their card back after fighting with him and threatening to call the cops, but still, I hate to hear about this type of stuff.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:35 AM

Sometimes it work out like that. Very sad to see someone taken advantage of.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:54 PM

Some Dell computers have a restore partition before the op system active partition on the hard drive and he could have done a repair install using it.
The Dell drivers are on it.

If he did, he wouldn't need to reauthenticate, but even if he did the Windows Key is easily found using an ap like keyfinder from magicaljellybean.com.

If the problem your friend had was fixed, they were not "ripped off".
$35 is small change even for a diagnostic fee much less repairing anything.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:10 PM

Either way, from what he told her about what he did to her computer, it sounds impossible. The OS is installed by Dell, and a CD with winxp on it is given with the computer. The drive is not partitioned (like my HP had the OS installed on the drive which was partitioned and NO discs of the OS were given), and you need the restore discs to either restore or reinstall the OS.

I'll tell her that if the pop ups have stopped, then don't sweat it, at least it's working, but I wouldn't advise her to go back to that guy, just for the sole reason that he wasn't honest.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users