Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random high ping to router

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 monkey42

monkey42

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Randomly my internet will cut out and the ping to my router will skyrocket when I test it with "ping 192.168.0.1 -t"
It can last from 2 seconds to about 15 seconds, and it happens at random times. It's happened to me when playing online games, when downloading, or even when just browsing the internet. It has also happened right as the computer turned on. My computer is the only computer this happens to, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen to me when I boot into safe mode. I'm using a Rosewill EasyN4 router with the newest firmware and a TPlink TL-WN722N adapter.

I've run tons of virus scans including malwarebytes, superantispyware, eset, and spybot, and they all came back clean.
My signal strength is pretty good, I'm not that far from the router, I'm using wireless N, and I'm on channel 8 which I'm pretty sure no one else in the area is using.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's an example, but this isn't even close to how bad it gets sometimes
http://i.imgur.com/1NDGy.png

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2012 - 07:15 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 akaUriel

akaUriel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

You can enter the following into the command line.
netstat -b

This will list all programs and their connections.
Cross-referencing this and the timestamps/patterns in your ping may help diagnose if a certain program is causing this.

Edited by akaUriel, 17 July 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#3 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Out of curiosity, are you using the 5 GHz or the 2.4 GHz wireless?

#4 monkey42

monkey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Out of curiosity, are you using the 5 GHz or the 2.4 GHz wireless?

It's 2.4 GHz

#5 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Ok, I was just thinking if it was on 5, it might be conflicting with wireless phones (if you even have any).

#6 Wds 7

Wds 7

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Looks like you might have some "free loaders" to bog youe network down .... you either reset your router and chang the PW ... see if it helps .

Just for the fun of it ...use the program calls "Who is on my wifi" to see if any unknown connections .

How old is your router ..?

#7 monkey42

monkey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

My router is like 6 months old, it's possible my neighbors are stealing it but I have a pretty strong password with WPA2 encryption. If it was my neighbors wouldn't the other computers on my network be affected?

#8 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

i would start by downloading inssider. its a free program to check for channel conflicts (among other things)
if you and one of your neighbors use the same channel the routers will be wrestling with eachother for an opening to send and receive.

this program will let you see what channels are used and how strong the signal received is.

watch this video first:

then download the program here: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/download/

switch channel on your wifi router to the 1, 6 or 11 with the lowest interference.

hth!

TFN

Edited by toofarnorth, 18 July 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#9 monkey42

monkey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

I tried your suggestion and switched the channel but it happened again just minutes after I did that. I've also tried changing the channel many times in the past.

#10 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

have you tried the latest driver?
http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/software/TL-WN722N_V1_Driver.zip

TFN

#11 monkey42

monkey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

have you tried the latest driver?
http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/software/TL-WN722N_V1_Driver.zip

TFN

Yes actually, I already had that installed

Would a hijackthis log help anybody?

Edited by monkey42, 19 July 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

What ESET software package do you have installed? You might wanna check your security features and protection softwares installed as they may interfere otherwise since you've mentioned on downloading and playing online games. You can remove spybot as it is not primarily needed IMO.

Tekken

#13 monkey42

monkey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

What ESET software package do you have installed? You might wanna check your security features and protection softwares installed as they may interfere otherwise since you've mentioned on downloading and playing online games. You can remove spybot as it is not primarily needed IMO.

It's the newest version of ESET smart security 5. You might be right, but I think ESET is the only thing actively running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users