Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permanently delete references to deleted files?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Over time I delete lots of files and folders. I usually use the 'Control-Delete' trick to "permanently" delete the files. However my understanding is that although this method may remove the file reference from the Windows file catalog, they files still may exist on the hard drive. And appropriate tools can recover these lost files. For example, using Recuva, one can see lots of references to files that I had previously deleted using the 'Control-Delete' trick. I would like to delete all of these references. Is there a tool that can scan the system and delete all references to these deleted files? I tried using Ccleaner, but this tool does not delete these references (unless I am using it incorrectly?). Anything else?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 akaUriel

akaUriel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

CCleaner has this guide on how to do so, the first method detailing how to alter the settings so it does it automatically.
The second method is just to wipe the data manually, so you can do it on a case by case basis.

Edited by akaUriel, 17 July 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#3 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Wow - that was a fast reply. I just posted the question.

I did not realize that wiping the free space would delete these references. Thank you.

#4 akaUriel

akaUriel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

No problem, at the bottom of the article are the limitations of the free space wipe it provides.
They don't seem like they would be of too much concern, but you should make sure to read them to get a good handle on the nature of your privacy.

#5 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

Use "eraser" it's a great program to delete files on your widows OS and if you need to securely delete your hard drive use DBan (boot and nuke)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

Eraser will overwrite files instead of deleting them, but you must be extremely cautions about using it, since the files are not recoverable:
http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users