Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone playback is very quiet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JoshM1

JoshM1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

Well I'm not too sure if it is a hardware problem or software problem, but I'm guessing that it's a software problem. But this is the problem I am facing, I would be grateful if anyone could help me out with it.

Hello,

I have a gaming headset, it is a Turtle Beach X31. It is originally designed as a gaming headset for an Xbox 360 but I have bought an adaptor for use in my PC.

I have a little problem however, it is something to do with the microphone/software. When I am talking to friends on Skype the volume of my voice that they hear is fine, it is loud, clear and audible. However when I use software to record my games my voice is very quiet when I play back the video. My voice is easily drowned out by the game noise and the friend I am talking to on Skype. My friend's voice is clear on the playback, so is the game noise but my voice is REALLY quiet.

Can anyone please help me and tell me what to do to make my voice at the same level as my friends?

I am using Windows 7 if that helps anyone explain what I have to do.

Edited by JoshM1, 17 July 2012 - 03:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

However when I use software to record my games my voice is very quiet when I play back the video.

Could you spare a bit more info, what software? <- 99.99% it's a volume setting in this application...

\0/
-Sec

#3 JoshM1

JoshM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

I have tried using Fraps and Bandicam to record my games, both have the same problem.
I have tried Audacity to record my voice individually, same problem. But I can boost the volume after in Audacity.

Edited by JoshM1, 17 July 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#4 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

OK...

So Skype works like a charm and the rest works, but really quietly, is that right?

There are various, software based, ways to set a particular volume.
First, there is the OS main volume, which can be accessed through the little volume indicator next to the clock. Under options you should be able to set both the volumes for 'playback' (default mode) and the 'record' (the one your having issues with) volumes. So start to check if these are fully turned up for your mic.
Then there usually is a software based control panel linked to your actual audio device. To my knowledge, these use the same parameters, but you might want to check this through the Control Screen as well.
And then individual software can have its' own settings as well, as you mentioned. Can you check the volume settings on skype as well?

And then there is the adapter, which I never heard of. Is there another system that you can use to check the correct working of the headset + adapter with?

-Sec

#5 JoshM1

JoshM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

Sorry for the slow reply.

Thanks for the help so far Sec, you're right when you say that Skype works well whilst recording on other programs work but the playback is too quiet. I have tried changing the recording volumes but it was on full anyway so that isn't the problem.

The adapter is literally just something that changes the diameter of the wire so it can fit into the jack, so I doubt that is the problem. Changes it from 2.5mm to 3.5mm or something like that.

I really don't know what the problem is :(.

#6 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

If you're sure you tested all volumes, including the somewhat hidden master "record" (in stead of playback) volumes, I would suggest to re-install the drivers of your sound device, either on the MoBo itself or the sound-card.

Could you give some more specs of your system, MoBo and sound device in particular.
Also, WIn7 32 or 64 bit?

-Sec

#7 JoshM1

JoshM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

Again, sorry for the slow reply but I have been busy these past few days.

From running dxdiag I found this in the Sound tab: Realtek HDMI output (ATI HDMI Audio). I really don't know if that is useful information or not, I don't know where to find out any other information of my sound card.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit

Here are some other specs of my system, I don't know if they will be helpful or not:
8192MB RAM
AMD FX-4100 Quad core processor @4.0Ghz
GA-78LMT-S2P (is the motherboard I think)
AMD Radeon HD 6700 series

Thanks for the help.

#8 JoshM1

JoshM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

Double post.

Edited by JoshM1, 21 July 2012 - 04:12 AM.

#9 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

Then I would suggest, before re-installing the REALTECK drivers, that you try to plug in the Mic on the back-side of your system, sometimes Realtek glitches a bit on me. It's an unlikely fix though.

Realtek has it's own control panel, you can try to find this in your start menu, or by typing Realtek in the search / run bar.

About re-installing the drivers:
You were right about the type of your motherboard, it's a GigaByte board, with incorporated Realtech HD audio.
The newest drivers for your board can be found here: http://www.gigabyte.eu/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3833#dl
First un-install the old drivers, I would suggest to use the REVO un-installer for this. You can find it here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html or <- Direct download link

Only install the following:
Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition) <- Direct download link
AMD Chipset Driver (include chipset\sata raid\vga driver) <- Direct download link
Realtek LAN Driver <- Direct download link

You'll have no need for the other drivers mentioned on the page, and the listed ones above are the latest version. If prompted, please make sure to install the Realtech control panel.

-Sec

Note: the Ati HDMI drivers are related to your video-card and are used for playback only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users