Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Wipe Needed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shrdlu

shrdlu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

Hello, I'm new here. I have a friend's Dell computer that is in bad shape (Hangs, wont shutdown) and he would like me to clean the hard drive so that nothing useful remains and have Windows XP installed again. I'm not familiar with the Dell computers and XP is very rusty with me. I have used DBAN several times on my computers but for his hard drive the program starts and shuts down immediately. So I'm looking for a program that can wipe his 250 GB disk. I'll explore any suggestions that you might recommend. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

Assuming you have an XP CD, just boot to that disc and begin the installation process. Early on you'll be given the choices to delete and recreate the existing partition(s) and / or to format prior to installing.

#3 shrdlu

shrdlu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hello Former, ............... Thank you for the early reply. Yes, my friend supplied all the CDs he had. Your suggestion seems too easy but I'm going to try it. I had looked at the Dell CD disk previously and it appeared different than those XPs I had used in the past. The Dell only had two significant parts:
To set up WinXP now, press ENTER.
To repair WinXP......... using Recovery Console, press R.
Although not important for this discussion there might have been another Repair option.

Excuse my caution but would you expand on your final sentence. I'm confused with "delete" and "format"and I'll wait for your reply before going ahead.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

What model Dell is the system?

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell Computer Dell - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=04&docid=52182&l=en&s=bsd

Manually Reinstall your Windows XP Operating System Dell - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_179256&isLegacy=true#Issue5

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

To set up WinXP now, press ENTER.

as to not make it to complicated ,choose this option and it will be all thats need to be done to get rid of what there now and start fresh .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

Excuse my caution but would you expand on your final sentence. I'm confused with "delete" and "format"and I'll wait for your reply before going ahead.

In your case let's not worry about deleting the partition. You'll just want to format and install.

#7 shrdlu

shrdlu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Allan, hamluis, caperjac, ....... All is well. My thanks to each of you for your comments. I took something from each of your replies and the installation went off without a hitch.

I though that a clean drive is required before installing an operating system, hence my request for a disk wiping program. If anyone would like to expand on this subject, I would welcome seeing more. Will starting from Setup produce similar results with other operating systems? How about other computer makers?

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Most disc manufacturers offer programs to write -0-s to their discs, IE it is a total clean up it takes the guess work out of what might be left behind.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Allan, hamluis, caperjac, ....... All is well. My thanks to each of you for your comments. I took something from each of your replies and the installation went off without a hitch.

I though that a clean drive is required before installing an operating system, hence my request for a disk wiping program. If anyone would like to expand on this subject, I would welcome seeing more. Will starting from Setup produce similar results with other operating systems? How about other computer makers?

Without knowing what you did it's difficult to respond intelligently. Did you format before reinstalling? EXACTLY how did you reinstall the OS?

#10 shrdlu

shrdlu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Allan, ........... I used the information that you provided in your first post. That is, using the Dell Reinstallation CD to boot and them went to Setup. As far as I can remember, I did not use Format. This seems to be a quick and easy way to reinstall the OS and that is the reason for my questions about the process. If my procedure is incorrect please inform me. Again thank you for your interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users