Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Issue: No Video Signal from Monitor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stormy4757

Stormy4757

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hardware Issue: No Video Signal from Monitor

I have a Gateway DX4300-11 Windows 7 Home Premium W/Windows Media Center

System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X4 805 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 7679 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 938406 MB, Free - 449291 MB;
Motherboard: Gateway, RS780
Antivirus: avast! Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

• A few weeks ago my monitor started to go black while computer was on. I would see it say “No Video Signal” I thought it was maybe going to sleep, so I went into the power management settings and toggled everything to not go to sleep or hibernate. Problem still persisted.
• I then thought it was the onboard graphics, so I bought a graphics card, installed it and problem still persisted.
• I then thought it was the monitor, so I swapped out the monitor to another computer, problem still persisted.
• I then changed from VGA cable to DVI cable, problem was still there.
• I then swapped out the original VGA with another that I had, problem still persisted.
• I’ve been into the BIOS and the settings seem to be appropriate to me. E.g., changed the onboard to PCIe and PCI. Whatever the case was.
• Downloaded drivers for ATI Radeon HD 4550.

I’ve used to be able to get into Safe Mode, but now it hangs at ATIPCIE.SYS file.

I have spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot this issue, done a lot of research on the internet and still am unable to resolve this issue. I am left to think that the onboard graphics is damaged on the motherboard? I don’t know. Any suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2012 - 06:41 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

1) If you swapped out the monitor to another computer, and the monitor was working on the second computer, the monitor is not the problem.
2) If you installed an external video card that is compatible with your motherboard, and installed all the latest up to date drivers from the manufacturers website and the problem still persists, it might be your power supply. Check the P4 connector on your motherboard from your power supply (it looks like a little square connector with 4 female pins. This P4 connector from your power supply powers external devices, mostly 5V devices, like monitors, disk drives, card readers, etc.)
3) If the cable is plugged in and the computer is put together correctly, check the power supply with a PSU tester to make sure all voltage levels are correct.
4) Your last saying was that your computer hangs at the ATIPCIE.SYS file. Is that during boot? (white letters, black screen?)
5) If all else fails, check the warranty for your computer and have it sent back to the manufacturer for troubleshooting.

#3 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Also check to make sure the video card you bought doesn't need a 6 Pin connector for power from your PSU. If it does, make sure you plug in the 6 Pin from your PSU to the video card, or the card will not have enough power to operate.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Is the No signal message shown on your monitor? If yes, then try removing one stick of RAM stick and use them alternately.

Tekken

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

I then thought it was the monitor, so I swapped out the monitor to another computer, problem still persisted.

Do you mean the problem still occurred when the monitor was connected to the other computer? That would identify the monitor as faulty.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

I’ve used to be able to get into Safe Mode, but now it hangs at ATIPCIE.SYS file

See also this thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=223271&page=2

Edited by jhayz, 17 July 2012 - 10:20 PM.

Tekken

#7 Stormy4757

Stormy4757
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

I finally got my issues resolved. I ended up doing a factory reset as when I tried to a Windows 7 repair, it would not finish. So I had no choice but to do a total reinstall back to the factory settings. After eight hours of being up and running I got the "No Video Signal" again. I then changed out the Power Supply Unit with another that I had, and have not had any issues since! So, it was the Power Supply Unit that was faulty. The PSU was a FSP Group, Inc, Model No. FSP300-60THA(1) w/noise filter. After doing intensive research on this issue, I found that a lot of users with this exact same computer model have had the exact same problem but no one has figured out the cause of the problem. So here it is. Hope this helps someone.

Stormy

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:20 AM

Hopefully it stays for good this time. Thank you for coming back and giving the solution to BC Community. :)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users