Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my Ethernet fried?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 justmeinflorida

justmeinflorida

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

We had a nasty storm last night, both of my computers were plugged into a Power Sentry power strip. The power strip is fried but everything else is working fine, except one of my computers won't connect to the internet anymore. I downloaded the Network Driver on this computer, put in on a flash drive and installed it on the other computer but it's still not working. I tried using different Ethernet cables, tried switching to different LAN ports on the modem, nothing is working.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

I had this happen to one of my client's once. The easiest fix is to just install a new NIC . This is one that I use that has always worked the best for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156139

But to answer your question, its not 100% certain that your Network Interface Card (NIC) is fried. It is a possibility that your router, or switch (whichever you have) might be malfunctioning now because of the storm. If you can, plug another computer or device into the router or switch. IF you get a connection on the second device, you know that the router, or switch, is working properly. (process of elimination)

And also before you go out and buy a new NIC, try changing the port that the Network cable is plugged into on the router, or switch, to verify that the port is not the problem. Also try changing the cable with another cat 5e or cat6 cable (which ever you have) as it is a possibly that the cable has become bad.

Comment back with questions if you have any.

-Kevin-
Cert. Net Engineer
A+, NOCTI, NET+

#3 justmeinflorida

justmeinflorida
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, I tried everything that you mentioned above and still nothing. My other pc is working just fine, as well as my tablet. Ethernet Port light is on, so why is it not working?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

I also had a similar incident once with an old P166 laptop....the NIC was fried by a nearby lightning strike, but the remainder of the computer worked without problems, after a reboot. Replacing the NIC took care of my issues.

It'a a cheap alternative to try, IMO.

The significance of a light...is, IMO, next to nothing when it comes to computer components. Signs of physical activity or actual functioning are more reliable.

Louis

#5 justmeinflorida

justmeinflorida
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

looks like I'll be replacing the NIC, no biggy. Thanks for the help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users