Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to Windows 7 Starter(?)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

My desktop PC has W98SE, but I am "test-driving" a Samsung laptop that has Windows 7 Starter on it. And I am having a lot of trouble with it. What in blazes is W7 "Starter"? Is it a pared-down version?

The trouble is aside from the fact that W7 is in Spanish, and I have to use a loco touchpad instead of a mouse, most problems have a lot to do with the fact that W7 doesn't have any DOS!!

This is supposedly to make the OS idiot proof, but I've found that leaving all the fixing of stuff up to Windows is often a big mistake.

Apparently, the owner hadn't made any backups to fall back on. And I've already acquired some stuff I don't want. With no CD ROM, there's no way to reinstall the OS. And I wasn't given any CD with the operating system on it, anyway.

I can't go into DOS and extract a file, either. I've had to do such things often. Windows Scandisk is often not good enough, and I need to do a customized version in DOS, which sometimes finds more errors. How can I change a file's attributes? Or delete a file that is in use by Windows? And I find no equivalent of System File Checker. How can I get by with no DOS or Safe Mode?

I wanted to see how certain games and utilities I have had a long time would work on this new system, so I e-mailed a bunch to the laptop. I'd sent zip files, and the laptop only seemed able to unzip one or two. But the worst part was trying to install anything. I obviously don't know how it's done.

At first I had no idea why the internet would stop working when I took the laptop to my bed to use before sleeping. Then I was told I had to leave my modem running. How is it that two PCs, with different subscribers, can use the same modem to access the web?

I REALLY don't like having to leave the modem on when I'm offline. I'm a bit paranoid, because I've been infected all too often, and even hacked. How can it be called a mobile device when I can't access the internet except at home? Put a bit of distance between the laptop and my modem, and it is NOT a mobile device for the internet.

So IS there anything I can access that functions as DOS and Safe Mode?

Can someone explain, too, how the touchpad cursor can just hover over an icon on the PC and then launch it without my asking it to? At times, it won't do what I asked, other times it does stuff I didn't ask for. It goes into a "scroll-bar" mode, but I don't know how it happens or how to get rid of it. This is maddening.

The system is also rather slow, even when plugged in, and I have no idea how to find the Devices to view their settings and attributes, and update them, if needed.

How can anyone think these newer OSs are better?? They have lots more bells and whistles, but vastly LESS flexibility.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

yes win7 starter is a scaled down version of win7 ,meant for the mini netbook world ,works on less power .less ram ,ect ect ,not a good choice for a more powerful computer . most of you post is bashing win7, i have been using a computer since windows 3.11 and win7 is by far the best Microsoft OS since winxp came out ,its a mobile device as long as there is a ISP within range of the wireless device that you have a password to connect to .sounds like you not quite ready for win7 ,cause it taint go no DOS.

With no CD ROM, there's no way to reinstall the OS

you should see a F key option on the bootup screen to boot to the recovery[it f10 ,or f11,-f12 on most laptops] ,or try f8 on bootup and it may be in that list to run the recovery

Edited by caperjac, 18 July 2012 - 04:36 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users