Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I get the Internet?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hi.

The Internet used to run from my modem, through a router and I had an ethernet cable to my main computer and Wi-Fi to my laptop. Since I had to restore my computer the cable now goes straight to my laptop from the modem and my computer has no Internet.

I tried plugging the ethernet cable directly into the computer from my modem but it doesn't recognise it. I tried setting it up a connection but it's asking for a user name and password that I don't have.

How can I get the Internet back on my computer through the ethernet cable (no router, just from the modem)?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hi.

The Internet used to run from my modem, through a router and I had an ethernet cable to my main computer and Wi-Fi to my laptop. Since I had to restore my computer the cable now goes straight to my laptop from the modem and my computer has no Internet.
I tried plugging the ethernet cable directly into the computer from my modem but it doesn't recognise it. I tried setting it up a connection but it's asking for a user name and password that I don't have.

How can I get the Internet back on my computer through the ethernet cable (no router, just from the modem)?

Thanks.

By restore do you mean a reinstall of your operating system?

If so, did you install the network adapter drivers?

Please post the make/model of your computer if you need help finding the correct drivers.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 July 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

No. I just used backup disks.

My laptop has now lost the internet too! Having to use my mobile now. I was looking at how my laptop was set up but i didn't change anything.

Edit: I restarted my laptop and had the same problem. So I left it, it went into sleep mode and now I have the Internet back on my laptop. So just my computer that needs the Internet now...again.

Edited by sn0zb0z, 17 July 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

If you used the disks that came with your computer the drivers should have been installed.

Access Device Manager. Just in case you need to know how to do this

1) RIGHT click My Computer (it may be Computer) and click Manage.

OR

2) Start Menu/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management.

Click Device Manager on the left side.

Expand Network Adapters. Is there any type of symbol next to it?

Also, please clarify: is your computer connected directly to your modem or router?

#5 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

If your laptop is still able to connect to the internet, do the following:

-Click Start
-Click Run
-Type cmd and press enter
-Type ipconfig /release and press enter

Now disconnect the ethernet cable from your laptop and plug it into your desktop. See if you are able to access the internet.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

>> Type ipconfig /release and press enter <<

I have always found that after this command you should type ipconfig /renew

This will reset / renew the connection directly after you "released" it -

#7 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

>> Type ipconfig /release and press enter <<

I have always found that after this command you should type ipconfig /renew

This will reset / renew the connection directly after you "released" it -

The reason I didn't add this in was because I wanted his laptop to release the IP address assigned by his ISP, then have his desktop pick up a new one. I've had several devices (usually routers) that would not pick up an IP address from the ISP if I just disconnected the old device, then plugged in the new device.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Since I had to restore my computer the cable now goes straight to my laptop from the modem and my computer has no Internet.

Is the current modem a combo router or just a single port modem with no wifi capability?

Tekken

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

Thanks to all who are chiming in here. This is not my area of expertise and I posted the only things I could think of to ask.

#10 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

First, I noticed you said his - I'm female :)

Second, I will look into that command thing shortly. Trying to get things done on my laptop which require the Internet so it's awkward to keep switching. Plus I can't risk the Internet going on my laptop again...

Third, I thought the modem was just a single port with no wi-fi, but there is a chance it does have wi-fi. I don't know how to find out at the moment. I always had a router because the last modem had no wi-fi so when that changed I kept the same setup. I was going to look into the whole wi-fi thing after setting the desktop up with the cable.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

#11 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

I connected the cable and my computer found the Internet. I didn't have to do anything so I've no clue why it wouldn't connect before.

How do I find out if my modem has wi-fi? And if it does, how do I set it up so my laptop can find it (using a Vista desktop and 7 laptop)?

Apart from it saying Virgin Media on it I know nothing about the modem.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

My guess is that it is only a cable modem. To be sure, surely there is more info on the modem
than just a brand name. Look closely, and see if there is a manufacturer name and model number.

In this link How do I manually set up my wireless router for cable in Windows?
you will see how to install a wireless router if your modem is not a combo wired and wireless modem.

Some images from the link above:

Step 4: Plug in your modem's power cable but donít switch on the power yet!

Posted Image

Step 5: Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the internet port on your wireless router and connect the other end to your modem.

Now switch the power on and the modem will start up.

Posted Image

If you would rather not purchase a router or would prefer having computers hooked to cable, one cheaper option would be

an ethernet switch. It plugs directly into your modem and then you plug in your computers into the switch ports.

Example of an ethernet switch: Amazon.com: TRENDnet TE100-S5 5-Port Ethernet Switch (5 x 10/100Mbps Auto-MDIX RJ-45 Ports): Electronics

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

My Internet keeps coming and going. I'm guessing it's the fault of the network provider? I keep having to reset the modem, but it takes more resets each time it loses the Internet.

There may be a number underneath, but I've been trying to get the Internet back all day, I finally have it and don't dare touch the modem at this moment lol. Knowing my luck it'll go off again! But I'll a look when everythings switched off and write down any numbers.

I do have a router but its making a high pitched sound for some reason so I'd prefer not to use it. Right now if I can just get the Internet to stay on one computer I'd be happy.

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Does both your laptop and main computer lose connection when connected to the modem?

#15 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Does both your laptop and main computer lose connection when connected to the modem?

Yeah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users