Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen, H/W issue?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 castaban

castaban

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

I rebooted my Dell computer, XP frooze at the reboot screen. I turned it off and back it on and the screen is completely blank now, it will not show anything , even the initial diagnostic screen. Monitor goes to power saving mode. I tried XP CD, Geek squad CD and Knoppix CD, all have the same result, complete and utter black screen, the lights on the system is on, fans running. Don't know what the issue is, is it the video card? Can I recover what is on my hard disk?

Any help will be appreciated...

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2012 - 10:45 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Hi, Firstly no boot disk can help until you get video. the computer isn't getting that far if the Dell logo isn't appearing.

First Thing is What Model is it. Most dells have 4 diagnostic lights that can be used to determine the problem with any luck.

Some model they are on the back, some on the front, That is why I am asking which model. Or you can go to Google and type in for example xxxxx service manual and that usually brings it up. Dell site only to be safe. the xxxxx gets replaced by your model number. and example would be
In Google a search by:
e310 service manual
Brings up

Dell™ Dimension™ 3100/E310 Service Manual
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3100/en/sm/index.htm

One option there is

Advanced Troubleshooting

Dell™ Dimension™ 3100/E310 Service Manual

Dell Diagnostics

System Lights

Diagnostic Lights

Beep Codes

You need to do this for your own model.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 castaban

castaban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Thx... It is an Inspiron 530. I can't find a service manual, just user manuals. The user manual does not mention any diagnostic lights, just beep codes. When I boot up, there is a short single beep, which according to the manual means BIOS check-sum failure. But if I remember right that beep was always there

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

From Here
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/trouble.htm#wp1082854

Power Lights
CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions in the Product Information Guide.

The power button light
(bi-color LED) located on the front of the computer illuminates and blinks or remains solid to indicate different states:

If the power light is off, the computer is either turned off or is not receiving power.

Reseat the power cable in the power connector on the back of the computer and the electrical outlet.

If the computer is plugged into a power strip, ensure that the power strip is plugged into an electrical outlet and that the power strip is turned on. Also, bypass power protection devices, power strips, and power extension cables to verify that the computer turns on properly.

Ensure that the electrical outlet is working by testing it with another device, such as a lamp.

If the power light is steady blue and the computer is not responding:

Ensure that the display is connected and powered on.

If the display is connected and powered on, see Beep Codes.

If the power light is blinking blue, the computer is in standby mode. Press a key on the keyboard, move the mouse, or press the power button to resume normal operation. If the power light is blue and the computer is not responding:

Ensure the display is connected and powered on.

If the display is connected and powered on, see Beep Codes.

If the power light is blinking amber, the computer is receiving electrical power, a device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.

Remove and then reinstall the memory modules (see Memory).

Remove and then reinstall any cards (see Cards).

Remove and then reinstall the graphics card, if applicable (see Cards).

If the power light is steady amber, there may be a power problem or an internal device malfunction.

Ensure that all power cables are securely connected to the system board (see System Board Components).

Ensure that the main power cable and front panel cable are securely connected to the system board (see System Board Components).

Any beeps at all? (repetitive short beeps)?
Do any of the power light colors I highlighted in red look like what you see on the front of the computer?
I don't see a service manual either, strange for Dell.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 July 2012 - 12:06 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 castaban

castaban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Power light is steady blue. There is one short beep, not repetitive, but I believe that is not a indication of trouble as I remember being there before

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Do you have a video card and built-in video? If so you could try removing the video card and test with the built-in video.

Steady Blue Light and one beep as I remember it means it thinks there is no problem. That makes me wonder if you have a video card that could be bad?

Another question when you turn it on does it sound as if Windows is loading?

I had one for a couple of years when it was cheaper to buy than to build my own with the same specs. Decent computer. The Person I sold it to got a good deal, And is still using it. I gave him the full set of disks that came from Dell as well as the Unused Keyboard and Mouse.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 July 2012 - 02:13 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 castaban

castaban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

No but I had changed the Video card on the system, I used the old one and the damn thing booted

I meant a while ago

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

If it is booting with the old card and not the new card, then the card went bad.

Can you get warranty on the new video card?

So it is working right now?

Good
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 castaban

castaban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yes, thank you very much

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

Glad to hear it

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users