Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure if I have a virus or my external drive is damaged??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anadiomene

Anadiomene

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hi,
I have no idea what's up with my disk, its either damaged from a fall or it could be a virus, any help is appreciated!

External drive: Lacie
Computer Sony Vaio

So on Saurday I downloaded via a friends USD some files for her - yes I know I should have scanned it, I didn't. Then later when I moved my laptop I dropped the external drive, although it looked like it still was working. I couldn't see it anymore on my computer I didn't think about it until the next day - when I logged on I got a pop up box saying BS@AS@...... software had been installed on my external drive, which is strange, and my external drive was gone. I tried all usb ports, I also did a malware check. In my device manager it was listed with the same name as the software BS@AS@.... I don't believe that the malware was able to scan the external drive as it didn't show on the options to scan. Yesterday I ran sea tools, it recognized the drive but got a fail on the test - thru errors? Since then the name of the device in device manager has changed to RA@SPNB@M060JB.

A friend checked with their IT Dept. and the prices on my recovering the information in a shop locally, is $1000 :( No I don't have a back up of this drive as it was my back up drive but I do use it for all big files, photos, movies etc... so I would be appreciated if I could safe anything, and if there is anyway I can do a check? solve errors?? Any and all help greatly appreciated....

Thanks, Michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jimbob85

Jimbob85

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

It sounds like your drive is bad. If you want to try data recovery make sure to STOP writing to the drive as this will make recovery harder to impossible. You could try Recuva. There is a setting in Recuva to do a deep scan, fore damaged or formatted drives, whic looks for "deleted" files. I would recommend that you set this before doing the scan on the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users