Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Registry: backup files failed me.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vulture274

Vulture274

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

So I was handed a laptop by my girlfriend's 11-year-old cousin in the hopes that I can fix it before his dad founds out. So far I've had it for 3 days and I've got zilch. I could use some advice.

System Info:

Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5303 running Windows 7 Home Premium. Unknown anti-virus programs, never seen this thing running.

Issues:

Infinite Windows boot splash screen, eventual Startup Repair screen.

Problem Signature 1: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 2: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 3: unknown
Problem Signature 4: 21200300
Problem Signature 5: AutoFailOver
Problem Signature 6: 4
Problem Signature 7: Corrupt Registry
Locale ID: 1033

I am unable to boot to Safe Mode in any flavor. Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt hangs loading drivers at ClassPNP.sys, gives an eventual BSOD, but shut itself down before I could write anything down from it.

Previous Repair Attempts:

1)I have tried replacing the registry files with the ones dated five months prior in the system32\config\Regback folder. No change.

2) I have tried loading Win7 with bootlogging. Ntbtlog.txt file was never created.

3)Successfully made a Repair Disk using my Win7 64bit desktop. Absolutely useless for me. Does the exact same thing I can do now: access Startup Repair, and a command line.

Short-term Goals

A) Make a bootable USB key to allow running of streamlined AV of some sort, along with Spybot and other utilities. Also, compare current registry files against backups.

B) Repair/Replace current corrupt registry.

C) Load USB hard drive to archive user data, clean USB drive. Restore laptop to factory default.

I cannot veiw any text files or logs, because the command line that is run from Startup Repair does not have EDIT. I have no way of importing one, because this bleeping laptop has no floppy drive! I am stuck as of now. I have no idea how to complete any of the three goals given the current state of the laptop. I can't crack it open, as it is still under warranty I am told. Any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2012 - 07:38 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

Sounds like you have a plan so here are some tips that might help you with it.

USB Bootable Kaspersky Rescue Disk (has virus scanner, text editor and registry editor built-in)
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208286083

The startup repair command prompt has
type
and
more
commands that let you view text files.

For example...
type x:\windows\system.ini
or
more x:\windows\ntbtlog.txt

Hope this helps
James

#3 Vulture274

Vulture274
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

Sounds like you have a plan so here are some tips that might help you with it.

USB Bootable Kaspersky Rescue Disk (has virus scanner, text editor and registry editor built-in)
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208286083

Awesome! Thanks!

The startup repair command prompt has
type
and
more
commands that let you view text files.

For example...
type x:\windows\system.ini
or
more x:\windows\ntbtlog.txt

Hope this helps
James

You know, I completely forgot about those commands. I'll try those out when I get home. Thanks!

#4 Vulture274

Vulture274
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

Well, I finally got Kaspersky updated and working last night. Scan started at 10:30 last night, woke up at 6:30a, it was at 15%. This is gonna take a good long while. I'll let you know how it goes.

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hi Vulture274

I'm happy to hear you are moving along there :)

Since this is now potentially about malware/virus infection. It will need to be moved to an appropriate subforum. When you are ready for additional help, let a mod know to see if it needs to be moved to another section.

User Hamluis will probably be able to help with that if/when the time comes.

James

#6 Vulture274

Vulture274
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hi Vulture274

I'm happy to hear you are moving along there :)

Since this is now potentially about malware/virus infection. It will need to be moved to an appropriate subforum. When you are ready for additional help, let a mod know to see if it needs to be moved to another section.

User Hamluis will probably be able to help with that if/when the time comes.

James

OK, so if it turns out it is not infected, should the thread stay here? Also, How do I go about contacting HamLuis? I would assume through the members dropdown menu?

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hi

Hamluis is a moderator who would move this thread if that was needed.

I can't do much to help since I'm really busy with customers today and naturally that takes precedence but I'm sure someone else can help if you are stuck.

James

#8 Vulture274

Vulture274
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hi

Hamluis is a moderator who would move this thread if that was needed.

I can't do much to help since I'm really busy with customers today and naturally that takes precedence but I'm sure someone else can help if you are stuck.

James

Yup, same boat here right now. I won't be back to work on it till around 8-ish.

#9 Vulture274

Vulture274
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

Kaspersky scan finished sometime this morning. No hits on any malware, virus', trojans, rootkits, nothing. I may never know what hit it. I'm going to try to back up files and load them on a quarantine machine next for scanning.

#10 Vulture274

Vulture274
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Found the answer! Apparently the hard drive was going bad. Booted it up again last night and the drive was GONE. It had even disappeared out of BIOS. I guess the drive starting failing in whatever sectors hold the registry first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users