Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hi,
My Pen drive seems to have a few copy issues its like the file transfer gets stuck at a place for a few seconds,

The transfer does get completed successfully but its annoying and sometimes this few seconds of delay gets converted to a few minutes..

I wish to know if their is some tool which I can use to check if my pen drive is failing
I have checked the problem persists in many PC`s So not an issue with my System USB ports

The Pen drive is from iball(4GB)
so any tests to confirm if the pen drive has bad sectors or if its failing??

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2012 - 04:49 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

Midou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Unless you have a reason not to back up your data and reformat the drive and test it again.

If this is your model the install disk has the tools to add password protection software, if your using it, and disk partition tool. Link to info

All drives will/can fail but I've only had USBs die when I've mucked around with them too much. I've had a buddies die a week after he got it as it was a really cheap unit. I have also had one that just didn't like large files or moving too much at one time. If I used smaller files or moved in steps/chunks it was fine. Gave that one away to the kids and avoided the brand in the future. (That was years ago...)

Keep in mind that like HDD USB devices can get virus infections as well. Do a scan before anything else just to rule it out if you haven't already.

Regards,
Zen

#3 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

hi Zen
Have scanned the USB drive and formatted it well its tool about 6 minutes to copy 1.22 GB of data..

So,are you saying USB drives cant have a bad sectors like Harddisks?
Midou

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

If you mean a flash/chip drive I never looked it up but as the way the data is stored is different I would venture a yes. But I have been unable to recover data on a coworkers USB stick even when I could get it to read and show the files. I'd have to read up on it again but if I recall the problem is that over time the chips degrade and "fade", baring any physical issue like dropping or getting soaked by a spilled coffee or rain. So records on dead or failing memory sectors usually mean a drive is dying or damaged.

If its a HDD in an enclosure or on a usb cable/dongle then it's still a HDD and subject to the same issues including bad/damaged sectors.

A quick search just now shows I'm right in logic if not details. The controller implements a flash translation layer to there is no correspondence of logical sectors and the physical memory sectors, or blocks.

It goes on to say that bad flash sectors should be sorted by the flash controller on your system which are also a cause for "bad sectors". Bad blocks also cause the flash drive to be reported as a smaller size.

So if it's working in the same way on a few different computers that support usb 2.0 and still under warranty get it replaced. The one thing that's noted is that when they fail its fast.

Hope this helps a bit.

Zen

#5 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hi
Sorry for such a delayed response but to be on safe side I`m getting a new one

Thanks for advice
Midou

#6 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

Good idea. Last months model is always pretty cheap these days and usually larger.

If it helps, location wise, check out redflagdeals.com. Under the forum look for hot deals. Plenty of people sharing what they find on the cheap including USB drives.

Good luck,
Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users