Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Seem to get through start-up

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

Hello there! I seem to be having some trouble with our PC. It was working fine yesterday (other than the Kaspersky Anti-virus not being able to check the PC like it normally does, it kept getting caught up and saying it is going to take 4-8 days to complete the check). I was up, goodness knows why, around half past four this morning and the PC was out of sleep mode and the keyboard and mouse were unresponsive, so I had to do a hard start with the power button. The problem is, once I restart it, and it runs through all of the checks and asks how I want to continue: Normally, in one of the Safe Modes, or Last Known good configuration, it works for a bit, and then the screen goes black with nothing else happening. Is this a Vista thing? Do I need to reinstall? Have I messed up the PC??? I am up for any idea or suggestions you might offer. Thank you so much in advance (and for reading this if you have made it through this mess!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

Boot into safemode with networking and uninstall kaspersky using this tool

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/kavremover.exe

Restart into normal mode

Install Avast or microsoft security essentials if kaspersky locks up your system

good luck

#3 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

Thank you for your reply! I'm not certain that's the case though, and unfortunately I cannot do anything once the black screen shows up. I choose Safe Mode with Networking and it states" Loading Windows Files. Please Wait"

Then, when things should be loaded the screen goes black. The same thing happens (minus the loading files message) when I try last known good configuration or start normally.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

If you can access recovery console,try a system restore to a previous date

http://www.faultwire.com/solutions/using_system_restore_vista.php

#5 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Unfortunately, that did not work....I am searching for the Vista boot DVD, will that work even from the black screen?

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

Yes

you could try startup repair option if you can enter recovery console

#7 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

I will try that! Thank you so much! I will let you know how it goes. Still searching for the DVD...I thought I found it, but who knows! I really appreciate the help! Thanks again!

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

If you can access recovery console now,click on Repair computer

and select Command prompt option and run this command

chkdsk /r

After chkdsk gets completed,try to boot into normally.

#9 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

I seem to be able to access the options of starting, but nothing else. I am not going to be able to try anything until tomorrow some time. I am not sure if I visited a bad site or something, I did click on a TV site someone told me about, but I did not stay on it long because it looked a bit sketchy. But I would think Kaspersky would have been able to protect me, right? <_<

I will try you suggestion tomorrow! Thank you so very much for your time and help. I'll let you know what happens!

#10 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

OK. It seems I can only get to Advanced Boot Options, that screen only after it goes through a bunch of other things, and when I choose something it either tells me it's loading files then turns black for a bit(then my monitor, which happens to be my TV,) tells me that there is nothing to which to connect basically, and shuts itself down. So, I think getting to the Recovery Panel is not possible. Any other thoughts? Could it be a virus? Is there any other way to fix it without taking it somewhere?

#11 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Let me ask someone to help you

good luck

#12 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thank you! :)

#13 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

I do not mean to double post, but I am wondering if I should post this in another forum, or if I need to be more patient! I did not see an option to edit my last post, or I would have done that. I have taken some photos with my phone of what the different screens are when I start up, I can post those if they would be helpful. Thanks! B)

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Please be a bit more patient. Someone will be along to assist.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:22 AM

Hello, and sorry for the delay!

Please start your computer and tap F10 until the Edit Boot Menu options come up. Let me know what you see there between the brackets ([..... ])

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users