Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Pc Killing Me Softly?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:52 AM

Hello friends,

I have a rather silly question to arise concerning Ergonomics, Electrostatic Discharge(ESD), and Electromagnetic Interference. I had a birthday recently, and my folks came to my house and proceeded to lecture me about how my current workspace setup is detrimental to my health.

I do admit, there are an awful lot of conducive devices less than two feet from my person 10-15 hours per day. I have read,(at one point or another) the documentation that comes packed with the purchase of new devices, but I have never heard of anyone falling victim to their PC setup.

Other than theoretical opinions, has anyone heard of such calamities deriving directly from their proximity to their computer arrangement?

Here's a rundown of my setup:

- from left to right, all within 6' of me, in a 14'x16' room -

[Entertainment Center]

-36" TV
-X-Box
-DVD Player
-Cable Box
-Surround-Sound Sub Woofer
-Center mid-speaker

[Computer Work Space - all on desk -]

-Tower style PC - Pentium D dual-core, 1gig RAM, 400gig HD, dual graphics cards- connected to TV, and two 24" flat panel monitors.

[Misc. General Area]

-Printer, 7 mid-range surround-speakers + another sub-woofer, 2 phones, 2 lamps, a cable modem.........And one man who forgets to get up and eat,bathe,sleep on occasion.

Are my folks right? Is this affecting my health, (as my dad says, "Looks like there's not going to be any more grand kids"). As I said in the beginning, kind of silly, but my folks got me thinking, let me know what you think.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:35 AM

I haven't heard about anything like that. :thumbsup:

In ergonomics I can see how using a keyboard would kill your wrists and staring at those 24" ( :flowers: ) displays can go heavy on your eyes. But unless the damage is really serious I don't see how it would effect any eventual grand kids.

How a electrostatic discharge affects the body I don't know, but I don't think that it is very significant. Besides, you can always ground yourself.

The only thing I've heard about electromagnetic interference is how it affects other electrical equipment, but it shouldn't be a problem unless you sit astride on you tower since the range is something like 15-20 cm at most.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

I havent heard anything before.
I would be more worried about the food you eat.
They add petrolium,food coloring,artifical chemicals and pesticides and more to the food you eat.
Who really needs really orange carrots lol??!!

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 07 March 2006 - 08:36 PM.

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:01 AM

Hello,

I haven't heard about anything like that. :inlove:

In ergonomics I can see how using a keyboard would kill your wrists and staring at those 24" ( :cool: ) displays can go heavy on your eyes. But unless the damage is really serious I don't see how it would effect any eventual grand kids.

How a electrostatic discharge affects the body I don't know, but I don't think that it is very significant. Besides, you can always ground yourself.

The only thing I've heard about electromagnetic interference is how it affects other electrical equipment, but it shouldn't be a problem unless you sit astride on you tower since the range is something like 15-20 cm at most.

Yes, I agree, I think the prospects of jeopardizing future offspring is just pops way of teasing me for not following the family tradition of being a Carpenter. I crossed that bridge, and enjoy what I do much more these days.

Besides, you can always ground yourself.

I must admit, at one point I was concerned about frying the curcuits in my PC when tinkering with it. So to minimize the event from occurring, I tinkered while wearing my birthday suit. :thumbsup: But, now I don't worry, I just wear shoes (rubber sole's) and Electrostatic Wristband.

And surprisingly enough, my eyes are not affected to much by my monitors. There are some pretty handy settings to adjust the intensities. Plus, I spent plenty of time tweaking the font, icons, windows, menu's and everything else, to look right with a 1920x1200 resolution.

I havent heard anything before.
I would be more worried about the food you eat.
They add petrolium,food coloring,artifical chemicals and pesticides and more to the food you eat.
Who really needs really orange carrots lol??!!

Thanks for the reassurance, and you gave me an idea. I think I might test the prospect of artificially engineered carrots increasing nocturnal visibility over organically grown carrots. :flowers: This may help my productivity, because I tend to prefer the graveyard shift for my labor intensive word processing. lol!!!

nos :trumpet:

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

And surprisingly enough, my eyes are not affected to much by my monitors. There are some pretty handy settings to adjust the intensities. Plus, I spent plenty of time tweaking the font, icons, windows, menu's and everything else, to look right with a 1920x1200 resolution.

In the long run it is going to affect your eyes. Staring at something at the same distance for long period of time is going stretch and wear out the lens in your eye. That is why you're supposed to spend some time every hour or so to stare of in the distance.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:03 PM

In the long run it is going to affect your eyes. Staring at something at the same distance for long period of time is going stretch and wear out the lens in your eye. That is why you're supposed to spend some time every hour or so to stare of in the distance.

:thumbsup:
Yes, I suppose you are right, we all could use a little constructive day dreaming to ease the strain. And I think I have actually got a sunburn before form prolonged exposure......someone needs to formulize a form of sunblock, and name it "PC #ffffff, or RGB 255 PC". :flowers:

nos :trumpet:

#7 afterhours

afterhours

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:53 AM

^^ lol

To be honest, I don't think any one knows what the effects of elctro-etc.

Just recently have we been bombarded with so many electrical devices for our daily uses. And now wireless technology passes through my house 24/7. lol. radio freq's, BLuetooth, etc etc.

For now, nothing is wrong... however, we HAVE TO wait for the long term and see way later how this affects humans. I don't think this area has been researched. Besides, what lab has a mice or person with a plasma tv on next to thier heads 24/7?
~VAIO~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users