Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cws Spyware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pegi_t

pegi_t

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:38 AM

Hi, I read a post on here about this the other day.
I installed Tenebril Spycatcher software last week and it detected CWS spyware.
None of the other free versions detected it.
I downloaded Ewido Anti Malware yesterday and that couldn't find it either, there was nothing to report, I ran Spycatcher straight after and it detected CWS
I know this application duplicates itself but how do I go about removing it from my system ?
I've tried shredder but it still remains.
Probably the only way is to re format, this I have never done as yet, I wouldn't know how to , I would be worried about deleting something important.
My son used to re format for me but he has no time now due to work.
I'm keen to learn but need to rid my system of this annoying CWS, I leave my pc unattended for about half an hour and when I come back it's crashed, this happens often and I put it down to this CWS
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
pegi_t

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:23 AM

There are several different variants to cool web serch (CWS).

Depending on your level of expertise:

There is a forum here at Bleeping Computer for self help, you can find it HERE.

Or, for help with removing your infection I would like to refer you to the Highjack This (HJT) forum here at BleepingComputer.com:

First: Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within. (There are many important steps in this guide that may clean your computer.)

Second: Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your HJT log in the HJT forum found HERE.

NOTE: Please, after you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait for a response. It can sometimes take a few days.

Third: If, after finishing your work with the folks at the HJT forum you have issues with XP related to the removal of the infection, then come back in here and let us help you get your computer back to normal.

You are in good hands! Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 pegi_t

pegi_t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

Thank you Albert
As soon as I have time I will follow the instructions
pegi_t

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

Thank you Albert

You are welcome! Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:24 AM

CWS is really nasty and seems to be able to avoid detection and removal by most anti-malware aps because it keeps changing constantly. There are numerous reinventions of it and it evolves constantly.

If you don't have Windows Defender and Spybot Search and Destroy (with Teatimer enabled), get them, install them, update them and have them run in the start menu (default settings for them) because they will help prevent malware from making unknown changes on your system.

Continue with the HJT log following the directions explicitly.
If you have any problems after our HJT experts help you disinfect your computer, come back here and we will help you restore all functions.

Edited by Enthusiast, 10 March 2006 - 11:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users