Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's Going On Here?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 t3hSurge

t3hSurge

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:22 PM

Hey, I hope someone answers this...

My compy's been laggy in gameplay for Stepmania, CS, and my other games. Like, it's not a v-sync thing, because I've tried turning it on and off and that doesn't help. Periodically, my screen jumps. Arrows in Stepmania, not smooth moving. Getting 60 fps w/ vsync, and 200 w/o. I play CS and doesn't matter if it's vertical movement or whatever, just repeated jaggyness. I have, don't laugh it works well, a CuMine Pentium III 667mhz processor. My gfx card is an ATI Radeon 9200. I started out with Catalyst for my ATI drivers, then I moved on to "Omega" ATI drivers, for greater control. The Catalyst panel took forever to open. After I installed Omega a few days ago, for one brief afternoon, everything was smooth. Later that evening, jaggy again. I've tried reinstalling my programs, I'm going to try reinstalling Omega in a second here, and I've tried every configuration. Help me!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:35 PM

What are you video setting? refresh, color, size? How much Virtual Memory do you have allocated? How much system RAM do you have? Is you computer clean inside and could in be heat related? Are all the fans running? CPU and GPU heatsinks are clean?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:23 AM

Is it jaggy all the time or in intervals?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 t3hSurge

t3hSurge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:38 AM

It's jaggy in intervals.

I run at:
1024x768
32bpp
75/60hz
256mb of ram
Internal Cooling is GOOD, CPU runs between 25-30 C.

And virtual ram...
Uh...
1 minimum
484 currently
750 maximum

That's just what I read for that.

Edited by t3hSurge, 07 March 2006 - 08:40 AM.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:57 AM

In my experience when you've got "jagginess in intervals" it has been some kind of software problem. I've had a firewall with a memory leak and a ebook reader trying to update itself. You might want to keep and eye on the task manager and see if you can catch any process using a lot of CPU when it gets jaggy.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 t3hSurge

t3hSurge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

I tried shutting down as many processes as I could before opening StepMania and that didn't help. Mabye a different problem or one of the processes that's unable to be forced to shut down?

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:40 PM

Try going into msconfig and disabling somethings at startup. I've had a similar problem, and come to find out that it was AOL instant messanger that kept doing that "auto update", not to mention that it was bad enough that it started when windows starts, which was just one more thing for the computer to run in the back ground. Try shutting off whatever you don't need. This site has a GREAT "Startup Programs" area that you should utilize to help you along with this. Not saying that this is the cause, but it's been the cause with my machine before.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:42 AM

Use Startup Inspector instead of msconfig for startup control. Much easier and safer, and it tells you what the aps are for the most part.
http://www.windowsstartup.com/

Which 9200 do you have? The 64mb or the 128mb? 256 megs of system RAM is awful skimpy running high graphics aps. You're probably pulling almost half of it just for graphics aps during gaming.

The paging file takes a lot more time than RAM, and that's why you may be getting the jumpyness.

Edited by Enthusiast, 08 March 2006 - 12:49 AM.

#9 t3hSurge

t3hSurge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:53 AM

I'll try your program and try adding some RAM today.

I have the 128 mb Radeon 9200

When I run stepmania, I run in a window to see my processes at the same time and it only uses half the memory and 42% cpu

#10 t3hSurge

t3hSurge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

Sorry to double post, but I felt I should share my soluton.

I added RAM, but no go. With the onset of ram came the possiblity of using XP instead of 2000. I used Pro SP2 and when I installed it and booted, drivers for my Radeon were all ready there! No catalyst needed! Works great too.

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:11 AM

Sorry to double post, but I felt I should share my soluton.

I added RAM, but no go. With the onset of ram came the possiblity of using XP instead of 2000. I used Pro SP2 and when I installed it and booted, drivers for my Radeon were all ready there! No catalyst needed! Works great too.

Hmmmm....makes me wonder if the drivers that you had installed previously was meant for winxp, and was messing things up when your machine was on 2000. Makes sense to me. Glad to hear that you're problem is solved! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users