Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Harddrive Backup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

I have an external harddrive that cannot be viewed on windows, but is detected and appears as a harddrive.
Windows File Recovery Detects and can view the files. Problem is there is bad sectors on it that literally took about 3 weeks non stop scanning.
Note: It is two terabytes, but only 12 gb of used memory.

Is there a program that I can use to back up the harddrive?

What I am planning is.... to clone Harddrive A(the failing one) sector by sector to Harddrive B ( a new clean one).
Then scan harddrive B with the file recovery to recover the files.

Any tips or solutions or programs that I can use that will not hang or fail with a bad sector?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Many of the better imaging softwares will have options to ignore bad sectors. This may leave you with some data loss or incomplete files but should allow you to copy the drive without the software locking up.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 johhny

johhny

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

Hi…
Yes, there are various freeware and commercial programs available with the help of them, you can backup files of external hard drive. They are Acronics True Image, Norton Ghost, Time machine, fwbackups and many more. Acronics True Image is the best program for the Windows where as fwbackups is compatible with the Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users