Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone Alarm Free firewall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RcC

RcC

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

I installed Zone Alarm Free Firewall to replace the Windows Firewall. I use Norton Anti Virus. Zone Alarm comes with an anti virus
module. Should I activate it or leave it disabled? Norton does a good job but I'm thinking you can never be to safe when it comes
to computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

More than one active Antivirus is a bad thing and can lead to reduced protection rather than more protection.

As long as your Norton A/V is not expired you are OK.
Things to remember:

A Expired Antivirus is worse than no Antivirus since you still feel safe.
I see many more infected computers with a expired antivirus than with a working Antivirus.
No Antivirus replaces common sense, Do not click on popups or open email attachments.
Even if the email comes from someone you know. They could be infected. A challenge / response before opening is best.
To put it another way, you get an email with an attachment, send a reply asking did you send this, if they say yes, then you can feel moderately safe opening it.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 16 July 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi
Just personally - I would not install the ZA, as it generally has an Antivirus content included with it. Remove it now.
There is no need to install another program if you are happy with your Norton at this time.
Note that most Norton suites also come with a Firewall component already added, so there is usually no need to add to it
The only question is - Are you happy with your Norton program ??

Thank You -

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

I would also add that...ZA products have been known in the past to cause issues that could have been avoided by not using said products.

If you are going to use such products...please read all the Help menus attendant to the program installation.

Louis

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

I installed Zone Alarm Free Firewall to replace the Windows Firewall. I use Norton Anti Virus. Zone Alarm comes with an anti virus module. Should I activate it or leave it disabled? Norton does a good job but I'm thinking you can never be to safe when it comes
to computers.

Hi
Just personally - I would not install the ZA, as it generally has an Antivirus content included with it. Remove it now .
There is no need to install another program if you are happy with your Norton at this time.
Note that most Norton suites also come with a Firewall component already added
, so there is usually no need to add to it
The only question is - Are you happy with your Norton program ??

Thank You -

There is no indication as of now that RcC is using a Norton suite. Norton does have a stand alone AV.

Is your Norton anti-virus only? If it is and you decide to uninstall Zone Alarm you will need some type of firewall. You can enable the built in Windows firewall or install a different one.

If Norton is not a suite you can also keep Zone Alarm but do not enable the anti-virus portion. Two AV's RUNNING at the same time is what causes conflicts. If one is not running you should have no problems.

#6 RcC

RcC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

You all pretty much said what I was thinking. I do like the Norton and it is just the Anti Virus Norton. No suite or firewall just anti virus.
It is a current subscription, does not slow down the PC and does as good a job as any thing else out there.

The ZA has 3 modules, firewall, identity & data protection and Anti virus. I opted not to activate the anti virus module for the reason you stated.

As for ZA causing problems... I had used it before, a few years back and it was a resource hog. They have, in my opinion, improved on it 100% although
it did add 10 seconds to my boot time :(

Thanks for the good advice.

#7 gmay3

gmay3

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

get rid of ZA and norton neither of them are any good and that is from personal exp. and shop exp. may seem good now but just wait something will happen it always does

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users