Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 vs Orphan files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wynn_M

Wynn_M

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

My PC is full of Crappy leftovers from me conscientiously "doing the right thing" and letting Windows uninstaller do the work. Big mistake. I've now come across loads of apparently dead folders/files from several uninstalls over a period of weeks. Win7 just ignores x86 (where the critters are) when trying to re-uninstall and only dwells on X64. I'm nervous about deleting this amount of Orphans - if they are orphans but how can I be sure? I've tried Revo's trial but not free and 10bit's uninstaller(quite good)but the X64 folder's won't show.

Can anyone recommend a (preferably) free application that would one time seek out the crap safely for me? Very much obliged if you can. Thank you.

Wynn M.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Well...first of all...you don't seem certain about the origin/nature of these unnamed files...so my impression is that you should forget about messing with them.

Orphan files typically are registry entries...and you don't teally sound like you should be concerning yourself with deleting anything in the registry.

I have to ask...what concerns you about these unnamed files?

Louis

#3 Wynn_M

Wynn_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

Hello Louis
Thanks for your response.

Well, calling them unnamed files isn't true. I perceive orphans as nameless wanderers but I do know the programs they belonged to. I've spent some time studying the files.

I had leftovers from uninstalling MalwareBytes and AShampoo - perhaps its OK to just delete the remaining files but I'm unsure about deleting anything from program files re: consequences.

The uninstalled program I'm most unsure about is Norton PC Checkup which I believe is from NCH Software. Windows made a right botchup of uninstalling that and the majority of the files are still there.

Malwarebytes, which I installed last year. Again Windows didn't do a good job so I've reinstalled MBytes and will use the inbuilt program uninstaller this time instead of Windows. There may be leftovers just the same!!

Do you know why X64 files are unavailable to the Windows7 uninstallation procedure because it's tough getting rid of leftovers if you don't know what you're doing. I did a scan with the PC Checkup app. it found 1113 orphaned files. That might just be scaremongering, I don't know but I'm not impressed. My PC runs very well and is generally free of bugs.

Can you please advise me regarding the deletion of the orphan files from X64. Thank you.

Wynn M

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

Hello -
There are actual "Cleaners" and "Full Uninstallers" for many of these programs (Malwarebytes and Norton, just to name 2) -

If this is what you mean by Orphans, then they can be removed mostly with simple specific programs.

This is not usually related to Windows7, but any version of Windows -

EDIT - PC Checkup program is a total waste of space on your system and gives dozens of "misleading" readings

Edited by noknojon, 17 July 2012 - 07:00 AM.

#5 Wynn_M

Wynn_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Hi Noknojon
Thank you for your input. I have managed to delete the old leftover files. I could go to Sys Restore if it did any damage but so far everything looks fine - I think a defrag is in order. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your support.

Wynn_M

#6 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Can anyone recommend a (preferably) free application that would one time seek out the crap safely for me? Very much obliged if you can. Thank you.

Hi Wynn, Revo uninstaller does have a free version. Click here scroll down to the bottom of the page under the column "freeware" and click the download button.

Edited by CmmTch, 18 July 2012 - 09:18 PM.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users