This morning when I started up my computer (A Dell Studio 17 with Windows 7 64 bit) I discovered that Microsoft Security Essentials was in a disabled mode and the Windows Firewall had disappeared entirely.
- I tried to start Firewall and got an error 80070424.
- I tried uninstalling and reinstalling MSE.
- At that point it would scan for a minute, declare a serious infection and restart the computer. Ended up in an infinte loop
- So I uninstalled MSE so I could take other steps.
- Following Microsoft's advice, I downloaded Microsoft Safety Scaner. It finds infected files: specifically SIREFEF.B in Services.exe
- I also downloaded and installed MalwareBytes which has quarantined Trofan.Sirefef and Rootkit.0Access
- If I run MalwareBytes now it comes up with 0 problems.
- Spybot S&D, which I run regularly, also comes up clean.
- But the Microsoft Safety Scanner is persistent with the error Sirefef.B in Services.exe and Windows Firewall still won't start.
I gather I still have a serious problem here. Can anyone give me any direction?
Thanks so much in advance.
*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*
Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 July 2012 - 12:58 PM.