Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 renegadestar87

renegadestar87

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hi guys,

I've recently reformatted my Dell Dimension (old computer I know) and I've reinstalled all drives etc however I have installed the Network Driver and am still unable to connect to the internet....
I've followed the dell support that says to download the "Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection" driver which I've done and installed however when I attempt to set up an the internet I keep getting told through the Wizard Setup they it cannot find my internet hardware!
Anybody able to help out at all?
Would be much appreciated!

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Try this
Click on start menu>RUN and type
ncpa.cpl

click ok
Right click the appropriate connection and click repair.

step2:
Repair winsock

Click start menu >RUN, type "netsh winsock reset" without the quotes and then click ok...
When the Command Prompt flashes,restart your computer...

If it works don't thank me a friend of mine had the same problem and this was the way he solved it.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hi -
Have you contacted your Internet Provider just to be sure that you have all your settings correct ??

This can often be the easiest and quickest solution for many problems -

Also have you checked in Device Manager to be sure there are no ( ! or ? ) signs showing ?

#4 renegadestar87

renegadestar87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

@center - There isn't anything in the Network Connections folder when I type that into Run

@noknojon _ I think I might be best trying my Internet Provider as well as Dell because I can't understand why it's not working!

Anybody else got any advice or help?

Thanks!

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Can you post the Dell Dimension model and installed OS? Thanks. :) Make sure to install first the chipset driver(if available) then followed by any component drivers.

Tekken

#6 renegadestar87

renegadestar87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

It's a Dell Dimension 5150 and I've installed Window XP Professional on it. The formatting and installation were find and I've installed the relevant drivers but still no luck!
Any help would be much appreicated!

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

however when I attempt to set up an the internet I keep getting told through the Wizard Setup they it cannot find my internet hardware!

Can you check the status of your network adapter in device manager? Just download and install the correct driver and you won't need to run any setup to detect any network hardware unless it is not detected in device manager. Intel PRO/100 VE driver version 8.0.15.0, AO1 is your correct driver.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users