Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rome: Total War

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:25 PM

OK, so I listened to all the hype, and bought RTW; now I am addicted to it. RTIt is a combination of Civilization2 and (elective)real-time battles that allows you to conquer the known world. There is a skirmish mode that allows you to either play out certain historical battles or set up your own, playing many different ancient nations. The figures are so realistic, they have been used on the History Channel.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:09 PM

Have you gotten empire earth!? My favorite game along with age of empires. War games are great!

#3 jgweed

jgweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:44 PM

EE AND the expansion pack. I play this with some friends online almost every weekend. It's a great game, and loads of fun. I also play Waterloo from time to time; it reminds me of all those years painting and mounting 15mm Napoleonic figures and spending the weekend hovering over huge boards filled with thousands of real pieces.
Cheers,
John

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:27 PM

Maybe we could play empire earth some time? It would be fun! I need the expansion pack to be fair. Do you use cheats? Like "my name is methos"?
What do you say? I have never done it before!

#5 jgweed

jgweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:59 AM

Cheats do not work for on-line games. When just playing against the AI (since it cheats) I use "coffee train" and "asus drivers" for healing my units and showing the map. Maybe we can play sometime. The Expansion pack should be very cheap right now. I got both for something like under 30 dollars at Best Buy three months ago, after losing my expansion disk.
Cheers,
John

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:02 PM

Ill go check out ebay. We will have to play. yes the pc cheats! I love to let them get build up then whipe them out with atomic bombers.... I will tell you when I get the disks.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 11 November 2004 - 02:04 PM.

#7 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:32 AM

I used to Play EE, as well as the Expansion Pack...do any of you know me I was:

**US-Marines**Civilizationist,
the last leader of the **US-Marines** Clan.

I quite soon after hacks were able to work, and people start cheating. It just ruins the game when you have Full Pop-Cap of Nukes at f11-> 2 miniutes. Some of the last games I played ended up, who can cheat the best. It was ridiculous.

Chances very good that I will Get EE2 when it comes out sometime, Mid 2005 I think.

#8 jgweed

jgweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:04 AM

EE2 looks very pretty, I have to admit, but I hope they don't nerf the gameplay.
Cheers,
John

#9 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 06:33 PM

have you ever played scenario games in Age Of Empires?

My most favorite was the "blood" ones. Mostly Archer's Blood, Holy Blood, and Paladin Blood, also the scenario, Fight Club. They were so fun.

In my opinion, i'm not too fond of Empire earth, it just seems that things cost so much and you can only get so little from your people getting recource.

#10 jgweed

jgweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 08:02 PM

Yes, but the resources do not run out as fast. It is just a matter of assigning as many citizens as possible to harvesting resources, especially at the beginning of the game, while not neglecting to build up your fighting elements. You can also increase quantities by creating your own civilisation with some harvesiting bonuses for resources you need, and increasing citizen speed, for example.
Cheers,
John

#11 noggs

noggs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:57 AM

RTW ROCKS!!!!

#12 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:48 AM

EE2 looks very pretty, I have to admit, but I hope they don't nerf the gameplay.
Cheers,
John

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking.

With all the new things like war-planner, and citizen manager, It might make it too....Rise of Nationsish...or too Empiresish.

#13 alpsemercioz

alpsemercioz

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:03 PM

i guess the first total war, medieval one, was much more better than recent one. it was a pure strategy game and i can start with any of the nations. this time we haven't got much choices. i dont like taking orders, i mean we arent free in this game, they limit our freedom with giving orders. :trumpet: medieval was great, :thumbsup: rome is just good i think. :flowers:

#14 jgweed

jgweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:03 PM

1. I think the restraints are there to make it somewhat historical.
2. I have been disappointed of late, with the sequels to many great games. The sequels end up nerfing the strategy and tactics in favour of neat graphics. RON was one such waste of time.
Cheers,
John

#15 zombiej13

zombiej13

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:00 PM

DAMN STRAIGHT. i've never been a big real time strategy fan but i also heard all the hype and i had to buy it. i'm hooked. it's amazing i'm online right now and not playing it.if you're a rts fan, buy this game. it's kick ass! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users