Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgrading from Win 7 Entrprise to Professional

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a computer that is to be decommissioned here at the office, which is to say that it will no longer be used for work. The computer is to be given to a local school. The problem now is that it has been running Windows 7 Enterprise, and the license will expire in a few months.

According to this site, http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/downgrade-rights.aspx, Enterprise can be downgraded into Professional. However I can't seem to find a way to do this. Is this a free service, or do I have to purchase the license again?

Customers licensed for use of Windows 7 Enterprise are generally licensed for Windows 7 Professional, which can be downgraded to Windows Vista Business, Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows NT 4.0, Windows NT 3.51, Windows 98, or Windows 95 operating system. You would not, however, be able to downgrade to Windows 7 Home Basic or Windows 7 Home Premium, or other consumer (Full Packaged Product – FPP) versions of Windows as they are different product editions and not prior versions of Windows 7 Professional.

I have a legitimate Win 7-Ultimate license on my own computer, but I do not have the install CD for it (at the moment).

Edited by Insp. Bumstead, 16 July 2012 - 08:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

I'm guessing that means you can do an in-place install using a Windows 7 Professional DVD.

#3 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

I'm guessing that means you can do an in-place install using a Windows 7 Professional DVD.

Ah. We currently don't have a Windows 7 Professional DVD. Would there be a way to obtain an image legally, without paying, as we are technically already "licensed" for it?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

I wouldn't think so, but you can call Microsoft and ask.

#5 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

[deleted]... found the answer.

Edited by Insp. Bumstead, 16 July 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

We have access to an XP Professional SP-3 license (on CD). I could install that and then upgrade to professional, right?

Am I correct in assuming for a minimal install, all I'd have to do is to install the LAN/wireless drivers to access the internet?

I don't understand your question. You want to install XP Professional and upgrade to professional? What does that mean?

Let's start at the beginning.

If you want to install an OS other than one with which you can do an in-place installation / upgrade / downgrade, you will need to format the hard drive and then install the OS. You first need to make sure that drivers are available for whatever OS you choose (not all newer systems are compatible with XP). As for drivers, you'll need the chipset driver first, then display, sound, and NIC (if you use an Ethernet card) at a bare minimum.

Edited by Allan, 16 July 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#7 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

I think I may have found a solution which may work:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/d079f46e-313c-4644-aa6e-8b7cb916b046

There is indeed a sticker on the machine, and I suppose I can use that to re-install Windows.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

I'm not sure which of those posts you're pointing me toward. Regardless, if you're happy, I'm happy :)

#9 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

I'm not sure which of those posts you're pointing me toward. Regardless, if you're happy, I'm happy :)

It's the first reply, which says that if you have the COA (the sticker on the back of the computer) you can download the ISO and re-install the original OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users