Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Find DVD Drive under My computer!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

I have a sony VGN-FZ 180E that is running windows 7. For some reason I can no longer see my DVD drive under my computer. I also can no longer play a DVD/CD. The CD/DVD tray opens and shuts, but that is the extent of it. Under disk drives in Device manager it does not state my Panasonic Blu Ray drive. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hi
This usually fixes it.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

I have tried everything, but still have had no luck. Would I be right to assume that if the DVD player opens then it can't be a hardware problem! Let me know any other suggestions you have. Thanks.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

You might have a bad DVD drive. Is there anywhere, another computer maybe, that you can install it in and see if it works? Or maybe another drive installed where this one is and see if that drive works? If the second drive works, installed exactly the same way as the first, then I'd say it's a bad DVD drive. :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

Appreciate the help! I just figured it out with the help of the forum and google searching. I had a disk in the drive (unlike the 1st time with no disk in the drive) and then chose to scan for hardware changes in the Device manager and that found the drive. Thanks

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for letting us know the solution

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users