Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website is up or down... conflicting data?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 D&S+14

D&S+14

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hi. I'm having a strange problem with a website that I've used forever (I'll just call it http://site/, that is obviously not the real address). I'm going to it, and it is simply coming up completely blank, instantly. Just a nice, blank, creamy page. No error codes. The Firefox tab and URL bar both show the proper URL. A related sister site does the exact same thing. However, a sub-page of that same URL is functioning properly ( http://site/blog/ ).

This is not a pay site, a file trading site, a game site, a forum, any social networking, etc... just a site. I do not need to go to it often, and this is the first time in perhaps six weeks that I've gone here. All other websites that I have ever used, and ones that I only used right now as testing, work exactly as they should, through Windows 7, Firefox and MSE.

I'm curious as to whether or not the site is completely gone but somehow left blank, if it has crashed, or something else that sites do that I'm not aware of. The strangeness is in the lack of error messages. I find it odd that they're just "not there," but assume that a working site could have decided to be blank if it wanted to.

Is there a way to determine the status, short of contacting the site's owner (an email address which unfortunately I do not have)?

Downforme.org says the the URL is functional.. my computer begs to differ. The only other information that I can offer is that doing a CTRL-U on the blank page brings up just another blank window, with only a grayed-out "1" in the upper-left corner.

I'm sorry for not providing the actual URL, but as much as I'm happy to ask you guys as experts, I do as much as I can for my privacy.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

Since there's a white page loading, I don't think the problem is on your end. Also, the fact that you get anything besides the firefox error screen shows it isn't a connection problem (ex: the server is down).

Here are a couple commands you can try incase the site(s) in question changed their IP address or something.

Open up command prompt and enter the following commands:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Also, what addons for firefox do you have enabled?

#3 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

Since there's a white page loading, I don't think the problem is on your end. Also, the fact that you get anything besides the firefox error screen shows it isn't a connection problem (ex: the server is down).

Oh, interesting! Just for me to be clear, is that implying that their server is down, or that, since there is no error, that the page is just... gone/blank for some reason?

I'm running the following Addons for Firefox 13.0.1 (and I've been using these extensions forever):

Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
BrowserProtect
DownThemAll!
DownThemAll! AntiContainer
Flash and Video Download
Google Shortcuts
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
Restart Firefox
Screenshoter
Search by Image for Google
Secure Sanitizer
Tab Mix Plus
TinEye Reverse Image Search

So, an interesting problem. At the very least, I'm glad to know that it's not a problem on my end! I ran through the ipconfig, it made no difference. One site gone blank, everything else normal.

I appreciate the assistance.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

If the website were down you would get a 404 error for example. If it were me I would try it in Internet Explorer just to be sure a firefox add in wasn't causing the problem.

Also just as a check have you put the cursor in a corner, held down the left mouse button and moved to the opposite corner? Example top right to bottom left. That would show any text that might be hiding in some cases.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

You also might want to try this website which will tell you if the site is down.

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

Just for me to be clear, is that implying that their server is down, or that, since there is no error, that the page is just... gone/blank for some reason?

If the site/server was actually down - then you would get an error of some time (Ex: Page timed out, Error 403/500, etc). Since you're getting a page to load (granted it's solid white), it shows that the server is up.

Try running FireFox in safemode: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode

AdBlockPlus (ABP) can cause the problem you're experiencing above. I have many times run into problems where it would block items that I needed and have to disable it. By testing the site in Firefox's safe mode, you will temporarily disable all extensions. Also, some websites may be blocking your access to the site because of your use of AdBlockPlus. If it turns out that it is ABP causing the problem, you can re-enable it and then list the site in "exceptions" for ABP.

#7 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Well, this is just too weird. The site says it's up, and only down for me. No hidden text via the screen cursor drag, but Safe Mode does nothing either.

However, swapping to IE did give me some information:

===

The website declined to show this webpage

HTTP 403

Most likely causes:
•This website requires you to log in.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

===

So I guess that's the very strange answer. It has gone from an open site to a... completely closed site. Which oddly enough may or may not be requiring you to log in, but without actually presenting you with a place to log in from. Strange! Well, at least I know that I'm being rejected. That's better than knowing nothing.

I don't suppose that this could mean something else? I mean, if it's a 403, it's a 403.. but asking for a login without a login page? Weird. Not that I would bother to ever log in, it wasn't that useful!

#8 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Even stranger, I poked the Join button just to see what it said, and got another 403 error. Yet the blog continues to be updated. Too weird. But, that's all I needed to know. Thanks to everyone for your assistance.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Are you sure you are going to the main page? And not something linked to off of the main page?

Example: Main Page
Not a main page, Sub page instead

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 July 2012 - 02:02 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

A 403 error is normally from the site administrator intentionally denying you access to the website. This can either be automated (ex: your IP has been detected as a spammer and blocked from accessing the site) or they have banned you from accessing the site.

Either way - you will need to contact the site administrator for more information on why you're getting a 403.

#11 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

Yes, I'm sure that I'm going straight to the primary page. Which again, was the weird part, because a subpage works.

But.. it'll just be left. I have no idea what may have happened to get a 403, and don't know how to contact an administrator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users