Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Won't Boot. Need Help!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

I custom built a Windows XP Computer almost 7 years ago and after upgrading equipment for my personal use gave it to my mother. All she does is light email and does play some games.

The computer is XP Home Premium and it has 512 megs of ram. It has serveced her well for several years. She does not turn it off very often. It might be better had she so she could reset the drivers. She lives in an area where all she can get is dialup. It has always been very difficult to do Windows Updates as with dialup she has to let the machine run all night in order to complete any update.

The problem began a week ago. I shut down the computer and then restarted it. It wouldn't start. After some inspection I found that the problem was in the switch. I repaired the switch and the computer started but would come up with the error that "NTLDR is missing". Using a repair console disk I downloaded from the net, I was able to get to the repair console. I had an extra Windows XP OEM disk that I was able to use to get into the repair console and coppied the ntldr from the windows disk into the c:/ drive.
Now the ntldr doesn't show up the Windows will still not boot. It is my understanding that to do a repair install of Windows I would need the "original" Windows XP Disk" and the keycode. I think I have the disk at home (I'm vacationing in Northern Michigan-live in Southern Illinois.) The original disk didn't even have service pack I on it.

When I vacation up north I still like to use this program. I have many sophisicated programs that I would prefer not to loose.

Is there any suggestions on what I can try in order to get the computer to boot.

I've done a chkdsk as well as a chkdsk /r. It found no errors.

I've tried to install a ntdetect.com from the Windows disk but it says it can't find it.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. I know I should just ditch the computer but as I've said I have music writing programs, scanning programs, and several photo editing programs I would prefer not to loose.

Againk, thanks for all of your ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

My thought is that, somehow, you have to get back to a "restore point" of a different date
in Windows, and it will probably boot up. However, since you can't get into windows, I am wondering if you are trying getting into a help screen or into the bios screen, while it is attempting to boot. To do this, you would have to hit the appropriate key, which I believe would be F12 F11 or F8, and hold that key while it tries to boot.

To find out the correct key, ask another person who has XP to restart their computer for you and look for the message that says you can go into bios if your press such and such key.

Another suggestion, is that, sometimes a black screen will come on. If it does, try
hitting F1. That may "resume" the boot.

Are you familiar with the old DOS commands? You could go into a DOS screen and
type c:\windows\DIR/W, and ENTER to see if you can pull up the various files in the Windows directory. Look for files ending in .exe and try running them in DOS.

Anyway, the problem would perhaps be solved if you had made a "boot disk" from Windows when you first installed it. Perhaps a friend has a boot disk you can use to get it started and then try to figure out the problem once it is started.

I sure there are some software dealing with restoration...look at a good software store.

Hope something here gives you a clue
44guy

Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2012 - 02:34 PM.
Removed quote from response - Hamluis.

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Hi,

A few thoughts, if you haven't tried these already.

Disconnect any unnecessary peripherals (printers, USB devices) from the computer.

If you can enter BIOS setup, I would make sure that your hard drive is recognized and set to boot first. While in BIOS, check the time. If the time is way off you probably need a new CMOS battery. A bad battery could cause your startup problem. At seven years of age, it's due for one. If that's the case, after battery replacement, you will have to reset the time and other preferred BIOS settings, save changes, and exit.

If you are able to access Windows Advanced Options Menu by continually tapping the F8 key at start up, arrow down and try Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked). Reboot. If that doesn't work, try Safe Mode. If you can successfully enter safe mode, try a system restore to a time before the problem started. If still unable to boot, see if you can access Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Let us know.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users