Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After update - Windows Frozen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 skeeve

skeeve

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

I will try and describe the situation. I have a Gateway windows 7 computer. Windows update wanted to install a set of new updates. I allowed it to upon turning off the machine. After which I have been experiencing problems that spiraled downward. At first the machine would run very slow and then freezing up. I tried safe mode I tried to restore to a previous spot. However, the only restore point listed was after the update. I tried a checkdisk. It fixed a number of problems. After leaving the computer on,I also started getting an AHCI Port 0 Device Error. I opened up the computer tried to make sure the hard drive was plugged in right. I tired re-plugging it into another SATA slot. When I rebooted, I couldn't even get into windows anymore. I returned it to its original SATA slot. But to no avail. I can not get into windows anymore it just freezes up. I have tried a repair, but it doesn't do anything. I tried a repair disk. It won't let me do a restore, it says there are no restore points.

I did manage to enter command mode to see if the hard disk still worked and everything was there. All the data was still there. I am at a loss as what to do.

Bottom line my windows is frozen at the "windows" screen. It doesn't even show the colored bar moving across. Please help?!

Sorry for the long message, I am just trying to give as many details as I can.

Thank you,

Daniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

>> I did manage to enter command mode <<
Hi -
Can you enter Safe Mode at all (pressing F8 at start up) and selecting "Last Known Good ....." or your system may say slightly otherwise ?
This can often over ride System Restore in some computers, and restore to prior to the problem occurred -

Hope this helps -

#3 cuhkwan

cuhkwan

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Did you do the windows update before for a few times ? Or, this is the first time you did it ?

#4 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Did you do the windows update before for a few times ? Or, this is the first time you did it ?

I believe it was the first try. I couldn't seem to do it again.

#5 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

>> I did manage to enter command mode <<
Hi -
Can you enter Safe Mode at all (pressing F8 at start up) and selecting "Last Known Good ....." or your system may say slightly otherwise ?
This can often over ride System Restore in some computers, and restore to prior to the problem occurred -

Hope this helps -

Thank you for the idea. I just tried that. I can get to the safe mode menu. I chose to start at last good configuration. However, it is just sitting at "windows is starting" screen and is just frozen there.

Any other ideas?

#6 cuhkwan

cuhkwan

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

Sorry to ask you this question.

Did you doubt that if your windwos was a legal copy ?

#7 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

Sorry to ask you this question.

Did you doubt that if your windwos was a legal copy ?

The windows 7 came installed with the Gateway computer. I also own another copy of windows 7.

#8 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Can anyone help?

#9 Wds 7

Wds 7

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

What is the version of the Windows ...?

#10 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

It is Windows 7.

#11 Wds 7

Wds 7

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

It is Windows 7.

I know it's windows 7 but what Version...? ...like Home Preminum ..pro or Ultimate ...??? 32 or 64 bit ...?

#12 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

It is Windows 7.

I know it's windows 7 but what Version...? ...like Home Preminum ..pro or Ultimate ...??? 32 or 64 bit ...?

Sorry I misunderstood. Hmm. I believe it is 64 bit. I think Home Premium. I am not sure. It came installed with the Gateway computer. Is there a way I can determine the version? I can't get past the start screen though.
Is there a specific reason you are asking?

#13 skeeve

skeeve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Can someone please help?

Thank you!

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

<<...started getting an AHCI Port 0 Device Error.>>

What model Gateway system is this?

Can you enter the BIOS and check the settings?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users