Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron E1505 HDD Corrupted

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

System Info from Bios

System: MM061
BIOS Version: A14 (4/2/07)
Intel Duo Core 1.60 GHz
1 Gig of Memory
HDD - 80 Gig
Intel 945GM Graphics

Symptoms:

System had multiple (hundreds) sectors fail during a HDD integrity test. I know the laptop is as old as Noah, and all I really want is to retrieve the past 8 years of my life out of it. After that, I would like to take it to a field and beat it with a sledge hammer. I would like to know my options as to recovering my data.

As far as the HDD is concerned, I am not able to view the exact type of HDD through BIOS unless there is a step I am not doing.I sure know how to pick my battles lately with these laptops.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Nikki

Edited by Nikki Rockstar, 15 July 2012 - 06:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

Hello Nikki,

Method one:

How to recover your Documents from an unbootable Windows System:
If your computer is non-bootable and has a CD\DVDROM drive, you can problably access and copy your documents using an "alternative" operating system "Live CD." (This will not work if the drive is so corrupted that it can't be read.)

While there are many ways to accomplish this, one of the fastest and easiest is using a Puppy Linux live CD.

What you will need:
Another computer with internet connection and a CD burner, software capable for "burning an "iso" image to CD", a blank recordable CD disc, and a USB Flash drive or external USB drive large enough to rescue all of your documents.

Start by downloading Lucid Puppy Linux (132 MB) from here or here.

• Burn the iso file to CD.
  • Don't know how or can't burn an "Iso" image?
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
  • Make sure your computer is set to boot from CD/DVD drive first. (See how to)
  • Boot the computer with the newly created CD.
  • Puppy Linux is a "Live CD" which means that it runs outside of the windows operating system that is on your computer.
  • Puppy should progress and run automatically. When the desktop loads, click "OK" at the Personal Settings screen.
  • Note the icons, bottom left, above the Menu button. They represent each drive on your computer. Plug in your USB Flash drive if you haven't already. The flash drive icon will soon appear.

Posted Image
  • Unlike Windows, in Puppy you only have to mouse click once on an icon to open it.
  • Find your system hard drive by exploring the hard drive icons ("hda" or "sda").
  • Click once on your hard drive. Go to "My Documents" folder by clicking "Documents and Settings," then "<YourUserName>." You will see the "My Documents" folder.
  • Note: use the green arrow (top left) on screen to go back up a directory.
  • Click once on your USB drive. Now arrange the two screens by dragging them using the top, title bar so that both are visible; one on top of the other. Each window can be made smaller by positioning your mouse either on the top or right side of each window.

Posted Image
  • Drag the "My Documents" folder into the USB drive and release. Click "Copy." Do the same for any other folders or files that are important. (Note: My Documents folder could be very large and exceed the capacity of your USB flash drive. File copying may have to be performed sequentially)
  • When the Flash drive is full, you can right mouse click on the Desktop Flash Drive icon and select "Dismount." Remove Flash drive and copy files to another computer. Re-insert Flash drive into unbootable system to recover additional files.
  • To "Exit" Puppy Linux, click "Menu," "Shutdown," and "Reboot." You will be presented with a screen asking to save any personal settings. Arrow over to "Do Not Save" and press <Enter>. The system will reboot. Remove the CD.

Method two:
Remove laptop hard drive, attach an adaptor to it, and plug it into the USB port of a functioning computer.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

Good morning Artrooks....

Thank you for your reply. I am going to start your recommended experiments (LOL) this evening.

Question on your method 2...this adapter you mention here, are they pretty universal to HDD or is there a different adapter per manufacturer? I need to have one of those on hand anyways.

Best regards and thank you,

Nikki

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Hi,

The adaptor referenced will work on either an older IDE (ribbon cable) or a newer SATA drive. It's universal, not manufacturer specific. I have one. It works well. I see the price has come down a bit since I first purchased mine. :)

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

Good Afternoon Artrooks,

You stated a large USB Flash Drive, would a 500TB External HDD work (does connect USB and has its own power supply)? If not, I will pick up a larger USB Flash Drive.

/EDIT... If I need to stop by the store on my way home, I want to have all of my ingredients together for this experiment. :)

Thank you,

Nikki

Edited by Nikki Rockstar, 16 July 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Are you referring to this "a USB Flash drive or external USB drive large enough to rescue all of your documents."?

A 500 GB external would be excellent.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Hi there AustrAlien,

Yes that is what I was referring too. And my Monday has already looked up. I currently have all needed items for this data recovery this evening.

Thank you both and I will post my results after the completion of the data recovery procedure.

Best regards,

Nikki

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Love the name: You really are a rockstar!

Good luck!

I would like to add this caution here:
  • Considering the reported state of the old hard drive, you may encounter a problem:
  • If so, please let us know about it and we will help you work your way around it.
    Do not do anything else, and certainly do not be rash.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Good Evening...

I guess we will see how much of a rockstar I am :whistle: . I just burned the Lucid Puppy ISO and going to make an attempt at this in a few. I am so excited to be getting my files recovered and learned a lot of valuable lessons on backing up files.

Thank you Artrooks for the ease of file finding with your hyperlinks. It is greatly appreciated.

Posting results soon,

Nikki

#10 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Good morning...

AustrAlien....I am a ROCKSTAR!!!! HA HA HA

I would like to thank Artrooks and AustrAlien for your help in retrieving what I thought was gone forever. Thank you two very much.

The experiment was a success and Lucid Puppy worked flawlessly. I wish there was more I could do because I feel thank you is not enough for the advice and techniques offered with my situation.

Best regards and thank you very much,

Nikki

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

Good to hear that it worked out well for you. :)

Regards,
Brooks

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

:thumbup2: You really are a ROCKSTAR!!!!
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users