Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install security update from Windows Update


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MrSaturn

MrSaturn

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

I found some questionable files this week that had been downloaded by my son. I have since spent a great deal of time trying to scan and clean the computer. Each malware/spyware/anti-virus scanner has had varying levels of success.

It seems that the bulk of my issues have been resolved but I am still unable to install the following update from Microsoft: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2719177)

Each time I try to update it, it aborts and gives me an error code (80073712), that is not showing up in any google searches or searches of microsoft's site.

Additionally, every time I shutdown or restart the computer it shows that new updates are being installed.

I am using Windows 7 home premium 64-bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 MrSaturn

MrSaturn
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

I never got a reply here but for anyone having the same trouble I had I was able to resolve my issue by doing a "Repair Install".

I found the directions from another forum after I was able to find the root cause of the problem in c:\windows\IE9_main.log. Specifically this is what my log file said:
00:00.359: Started: 2012/07/21 (Y/M/D) 14:27:48.562 (local)
00:00.375: Time Format in this log: MM:ss.mmm (minutes:seconds.milliseconds)
00:00.562: Command line: "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\WU-IE9-Windows7-x64.exe" /WU-SILENT
00:00.671: INFO: Setup installer for Internet Explorer: 9.0.8112.16421
00:00.718: INFO: Previous version of Internet Explorer: 8.0.7601.17824
00:00.905: INFO: Checking if iexplore.exe's current version is between 9.0.6001.0...
00:00.936: INFO: ...and 9.1.0.0...
00:00.967: INFO: Maximum version on which to run IEAK branding is: 9.1.0.0...
00:01.014: INFO: iexplore.exe version check success. Install can proceed.
00:01.045: INFO: Trying to extract ID: 7006 (0) as "IE9-neutral.Extracted.cab"
00:05.023: INFO: Trying to extract ID: 5006 (0) as "IE9-support.cab"
00:06.584: INFO: Operating System: Windows Workstation: 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
00:07.067: INFO: Windows 7 operating system detected.
00:07.192: INFO: Service pack major: 1
00:07.332: INFO: Service pack minor: 0
00:07.473: INFO: Service pack name: Service Pack 1
00:19.641: INFO: The neutral pack was successfully downloaded from the internet. Installation will continue using the downloaded package.
00:19.766: INFO: No reboot policy and supplemental files successfully downloaded and extracted for use.
00:19.953: INFO: No reboot logic message NrApiStart(0), lParam=0x004c6650 returned 0x00000000.
00:21.185: INFO: No reboot logic message NrApiScan(1), lParam=0x00000001 returned 0x00000000.
00:21.279: INFO: No reboot logic message NrApiStartInstall(4), lParam=0x00000001 returned 0x00000014.
00:21.326: INFO: Installing with the downloaded package. C:\Windows\TEMP\IE9E35.tmp\IE9-neutral.Downloaded.msu
00:21.606: INFO: Launched package installation: C:\Windows\system32\dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\TEMP\IE9E35.tmp\IE9-neutral.Downloaded\Windows6.1-KB982861-x64.cab /quiet /norestart
00:50.919: INFO: Process exit code 0x00003712 (14098) [The component store has been corrupted. ]
00:51.278: ERROR: Neutral MSU installation failed (exit code = 0x00003712 (14098)).
00:51.418: INFO: No reboot logic message NrApiInstallDone(7), lParam=0x00003712 returned 0x00000000.
00:51.605: INFO: No reboot logic message NrApiStartFinish(11), lParam=0x00000000 returned 0x00000000.
00:51.808: INFO: No reboot logic message NrApiFinish(12), lParam=0x00000000 returned 0x00000016.
00:52.167: ERROR: Couldn't create setup troubleshooting shortcut on the desktop. HRESULT: 0x80070002,
00:52.229: INFO: Setup exit code 0x00003712 (14098) [The component store has been corrupted. ]
00:52.619: INFO: Cleaning up temporary files in: C:\Windows\TEMP\IE9E35.tmp
00:53.493: INFO: Unable to remove directory C:\Windows\TEMP\IE9E35.tmp, marking for deletion on reboot.
00:53.758: INFO: Released Internet Explorer Installer Mutex


The key error message was "Setup exit code 0x00003712 (14098) [The component store has been corrupted. ]"

Once I figured out that this was the root problem, doing a google search yielded the fix by doing the "Repair Install."

Essentially, the "Repair Install" is using your windows disc to re-install windows as an upgrade. In short I "upgraded" my Windows 7 SP1 installation to Windows 7 SP1 via the disc, overwriting the corrupted files in the process. This allowed for me to keep all my personal files and installed software after the lengthy installation process.

I hope this helps someone else.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users