Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Folder has gone missing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Residual

Residual

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

I'm an a digital artist, and I keep all my work-in-progresses in one folder labeled 'Art' under My Pictures. The night before last I was working on an image on Photoshop, got tired, saved it into my Art folder and closed the program. The next day I boot up, messed around on the internet a while, then go to open the image and work on it some more...and it's not there. In fact, my entire Art folder is suddenly missing, as well as all the images under My Pictures that weren't filed into folders.

Baffled, I looked through my other folders to see if they got merged somehow, but they didn't.

Next, I went to my Recycling bin to see if they had accidently been deleted. I didn't see it in there, but I restored everything anyways, just in case. It still didn't show up.

I then tried to do a few file searches on my computer with the names I could remember. Only a couple of the names I tried showed up, but they were only Shortcuts. When I clicked the shortcuts it told me "The item 'Name.psd' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?"

Finally I went online and searched 'Missing folders'. I got information on how to unhide hidden files and followed the instructions, but still, no Art folder.
I then found a list of free programs that would help recover deleted or lost files from your harddrive. The first one I downloaded was Recuva. I ran the scan, but it came up empty. I then found a program called UndeletePlus, which I thought was free. I downloaded it and ran the scan, and hey! My pictures showed up! I carefully went through and selected them all, then clicked Recover...only to be told I had to pay $50 to do so -snort-. Not discouraged, I downloaded yet another free scan (FreeUndelete), and again got no results.

At this point it dawned on me to try a System Restore. So I went to go look up a restore point...and there was only one, and it was marked for earlier that day right around the time I booted up the computer. Thought that was odd. I decided to try it anyway, in case the damage at been done while I was internet surfing earlier and not the night before. Once the Restore was finished I went and checked on my files. No Art folder, no art files.

I ended up downloading quite a few file recovery programs. After Recuva and FreeUndelete I also tried Restoration, Glary Undelete, Photore, Pandora and NTFS Undelete. Mostly all they found were deleted temporary files...no art stuff. Getting discouraged, I then decided to run UndeletePlus again, just to see my file names and be reassured they were, in fact, there somewhere. To my shock, the second scan yielded no results. All the pictures it had showed me before were gone now.

It was then suggested to me that this might be a virus. I found it odd a virus would just attack my first picture folder and nothing else, but I ran Malwarebytes and SUPERAnti-Spyware anyway. They both came up empty and said my computer was clean.

So now I am officially out of ideas. None of my techy friends seem to know either, so you guys are my last resort. I'm really going to be very devestated if all of my art files are gone forever... Please help?

I have an HP desktop computer.
Windows Vista Home Premium - Service Pack 1
32-bit Operating System
2.00 GB Memory
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz

I hope I've provided you with enough information...

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2012 - 10:09 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

If recovery software showed the folders...I would have to guess that you either deleted the folder...or you have hard drive/partition problems.

Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#3 Residual

Residual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hmm okay I clicked on the download link and it just takes me to a "[Server Error] 404 - File or Directory not found" page...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Sorry...fixed link.

Louis

#5 Residual

Residual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

It...still says the same thing, I'm afraid.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

I posted two links...which one is not working properly at your end?

Louis

#7 Residual

Residual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

The MiniToolBox download link...I even tried looking it up on another website to download it but every download link I try gives me the same 404 page...

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Try http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/ , sorry :).

Louis

#9 Residual

Residual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

I am really sorry, I feel like such a pest right now but I am getting the same error. My computer does not want to download this apparently ha. Any idea why? I assume the download link itself is ok...

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Where is the Speccy link?

You've asked for help...and you haven't provided much to work with, IMO...makes it rather difficult to try to assist.

Louis

#11 Residual

Residual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Oh...I apologize again, I thought I was supposed to publish it after I downloaded the first link.

Snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/evowcIBPUeTn8aL5tTpPyWC

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

I don't see anything that jumps out as a problem.

I did see that you have an outdated install of NIS 2007, have Spybot, Ad-Aware and Windows Defender installed...and don't have SP2 installed. IMO, that whole scenario indicates that your system security posture is weak.

If I add that to your missing folder situation...I have to consider the possibility of infection and I will move this to a forum where the more knowledgeable can take a deeper look to remove the suspicion of malware.

Louis

#13 Residual

Residual
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Ah, alright...thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users