Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox not connecting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RcC

RcC

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

I installed WINDOWS FIREWALL CONTROL on my Windows 7 system. I have Internet access with games but not with FIREFOX or MAIL WASHER PRO. I decided to not use WINDOWS FIREWALL CONTROL and deleted it from my computer (there was no uninstall entry). Now even though FIREFOX and MAILWASHER PRO is listed as being allowed by the Windows firewall I can not access the Internet. Should I use the system restore feature or am I missing something else. If I turn off the firewall I have access but of course that is not an option I want to go with. Any other ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

You don't install windows firewall separate you get it with windows so you may of installed a fake firewall because the only firewall solutions I can think of is comodo firewall, firewalls what come with anti viruses and Zone alarm there's no such thing as windows firewall controll I think you need to get malware bytes and get a proper anti virus like avast free antivirus because you carny just install whatever you like man lol
Thanks
Chris A

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

#3 RcC

RcC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Chris for the quick reply. I may not have made myself clear on what was going on. WINDOWS FIREWALL CONTROL is a third party application that allows you to control the WINDOWS FIREWALL all from one spot. It turned out that it was something that I could live without. As I said there was no uninstall feature. It did inbred itself in services so after stopping it then disabling it I removed the folder along with the 2 files that was in it. That is when I realized I could not access the Internet with FIREFOX and MAILWASHER PRO. The only way I can access the Internet with those programs is to turn off the firewall. I do have those programs under the allow rule and I even removed that permission and reestablished it but they still can not access the Internet. I do have an Internet connection established as shown by the icon in the tray area and I did play Battlefield 1942 (still my favorite game) with no problem. I think I either have to do a restore or go into the registry and see what entries the WINDOWS FIREWALL CONTROL application has made and edit them out. I am open to other ideas still.

The windows firewall control application can be seen at the link below

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-Firewall-Control/3000-10435_4-10618117.html

Edited by RcC, 15 July 2012 - 12:48 PM.

#4 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

I still think you should not of got the firewall control because there is already a control panel and advanced settings for windows firewall I think you should get ccleaner run a virus scan with avast anti virus with the latest virus definitions .. When your in ccleaner run a scan for all the drive and registry I know People here don't like. Cleaner but for me I dont see he problem you can make backups etc with it now.. If its still acting up remove windows or do a repair install DBan the secure disk wipe utility will remove everything.. Once you have a nice clean windows install get comodo firewall and a antivirus like avast (I love avast because its the protection you get from a paid av for free ) do not install any crap like firewall controls because Comodo is a all In one firewall software package with a control panel etc... I do hope you have a official anti virus already if not then as I said remove windows and re install
Thanks
Chris A

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

#5 RcC

RcC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

I am sure Ido not have a virus or anything like that. I have Norton anti virus and I do run CCleanereverynow and then to be on the safe side. I really think the program is safe but like I said it was not as useful as I had thought it would be. I really believe it is just a matter of editing the registry or do a restore. I just wish I had done a registry back up before I tried the program.
I was using Zone Alarm Firewall prior to up grading to Win 7 and I may go back to it even though I think Windows firewall for 7 is better then it was for XP

Thanks for all your ideas. I will let you know via this post if it was just a matter of a registry entry left behind. Thanks again.

#6 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

I think you're better off re-installing the program and then un-install it in a proper way.
Legitimate programs always have an add/remove option, you'll have to look a bit harder.

System restore will probably not work, as you made settings in your Firewall.

Win7 firewall is MUCH better then XP's, but not as good as many FREE 3rd party alternatives.

-Sec

#7 RcC

RcC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

OK I restored defaults in the firewall then I added or allowed Firefox and Mail Washer Pro and every thing is good.
Not sure why I had to restore to a default setting first. I thought "allowing" over an existing "allow" would be ok
but I guess not. Glad I did not have to do the system restore. That always worries me. Still going to edit the registry
for any crap from the Windows Firewall Control program.

I agree many third party firewalls are better then the improved win 7 firewall and I think I am going to go back
to using Zone Alarms free firewall. Thanks all for the replies.

#8 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

Glad to hear you got it sorted out, thanks for letting us know :)

Make sure to back-up your registry before tinkering!

\0/
-Sec

#9 RcC

RcC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

I did back up the registry first. I found no instances of the program in the registry. I do know now that it is a stand alone application
and that is why there was no uninstall option. I have installed Zone Alarm Free Firewall and I have a question on that application that
I will be posting in a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users