Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with computer and Combofix deleting registry keys

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dsmout

Dsmout

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:29 AM

As the topic says I have some sort of virus (I assume), the main symptoms are that my search browsers (I have been using firefox, google chrome and IE) often dont work. They will not load new pages and then I end up just switching between the three trying to get one that works. This has become very frustrating so I decided to try and do something about it. I ran combofix but it deleted all my registry keys, I can run all my programs as administrator and everything works fine. Then I turn off or reset my computer and it fixes the issue with the keys but my computer is back to having some sort of virus. My understanding is that it restores my computer to back before I ran combofix.

So my issue is how do I get my computer working? I have run my anti virus program (Malwarebytes anti-malware) which did not find anything and combofix isnt sorting out my issue. I have tried running both in normal and safe mode but get the same result. At this time I do not have any pop ups but one time I did get redirected to some site telling me to download an anti virus program (which I dont remember the name of). I dont know what it is as the main issue I am having is that my search browsers are not working well and occasionally my computer runs slow.

Hopefully someone can make sense of this and give me some advice and how to manage this as I need my computer for university studies. Any help is much appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2012 - 05:47 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV, Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:35 AM

Hi,

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained.
It is intended by its creator to be used under the guidance and supervision of a Malware Removal Expert, not for private use.
Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Please do not run Combofix on your own

This being said, the issue about keys marked for deletion with ComboFix is fixed by an additional reboot, there's no need to reset your PC to fix it.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Dsmout

Dsmout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for your very fast reply, the issue I am unsure about now is how do I fix my computer. Previously I have used combofix and it has worked but now it is not working so I am not sure of how to go about fixing my computer.

I assume I have some virus but I dont know what it is, how to find it and how to remove it. If you have any idea of what I should do or where to find information to help me with this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

#4 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

Hi,

I would suggest following this guide to create a topic in the malware removal section then: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Dsmout

Dsmout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:03 AM

Ahh thank you very much, first time here so I will have a go over there. Thank you for all your help :)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

Your log(s) is posted here.

Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the Malware Response Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Good luck with your log.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users