Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searching for AMD SB710 IDE drivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OvenMaster

OvenMaster

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

Motherboard: ASRock 880 GM-LE

Is it my imagination or are there really no IDE/PATA drivers offered by AMD for the SB710 South bridge?
Any Catalyst suite as well as the chipset driver downloads from ASRock or AMD only include AHCI and RAID drivers.

When looking in Device Manager, right-clicking ATA Channel 0, ATA Channel 1, or Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller and clicking the Driver tab says the drivers are from Microsoft from 2006. Trying to update says they're the latest.

Whenever I've had SiS, Intel, or VIA chipsets, there was always an IDE driver installed. But not for AMD.

Am I looking for something that AMD just never developed, and figured that generic M$ drivers were "good enough"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

I'm seeying both an "All in 1" download,
as a separate "SATA2" driver on > THIS PAGE <

If you successfully install either of them, you should be ok!

\0/
-Sec

#3 OvenMaster

OvenMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

I saw that SATA2 driver as well... I did install that on XP, and from what I have read, that enables SATA II functions that aren't native to XP. No problem there!

I did install the All-In-One driver for Windows 7, and Device Manager are still shows the default Microsoft-supplied atapi.sys and ataport.sys.

When I right-click anything under "ATA Channel x" in Device Manager, then try to Update Driver and browse the installed All-In-One package in C:\Windows\AMD, there are only RAID and AHCI drivers available. I'm guessing that there just aren't any specific AMD ATA drivers available.

For the record, I'm using my two SATA HDs and DVD burners in ATA mode... AHCI mode causes massive audio sync errors with my screen capture software, and IDE mode does not.

Maybe I should just be grateful I'm not getting BSODs! LOL

#4 OvenMaster

OvenMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Okay I found the answer.

AMD relies on Microsoft IDE drivers when using SATA drives in IDE mode.
Source: AMD SB700/710/750 BIOS Developer’s Guide, page 32.
http://developer.amd.com/assets/43366_sb7xx_bdg_pub_1.00.pdf

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/sataidesb710.jpg

Edited by OvenMaster, 15 July 2012 - 07:15 PM.

#5 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

Thank you for sharing that!

\0/
-Sec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users