Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White Computer Screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 idontknow1996

idontknow1996

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

Recently, my computer screen started turning white. The white screen would persist for a few days, and then the screen would go back to its normal self, but only for a few hours at the most.

I've tried reconnecting the video chord to the screen itself, which didn't work. I've also used an external monitor (which allowed me to use my computer just fine) and I've connected another functioning screen to the computer, which still yielded the white screen problem.

The laptop is a Pavilion g4-1016dx and I am using Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

Wow, to narrow that down between a GPU and your screen, which both are working fine on their own, and the chord is as well...
Hmmm...

Adapter the chord fits in? Wiggle a bit? (GENTLY!)
Has differences in temperature any influence on the issue?

-Sec

#3 beball

beball

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Have you tried connecting an external display to your laptop? It seems a lot of people have this problem
Have a look Here

#4 idontknow1996

idontknow1996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

Wow, to narrow that down between a GPU and your screen, which both are working fine on their own, and the chord is as well...
Hmmm...

Adapter the chord fits in? Wiggle a bit? (GENTLY!)
Has differences in temperature any influence on the issue?

-Sec

It seems to be that when the computer heats up it goes white, but I'm not completly sure what you mean by the first suggestion you made, so I have not been able to try that out yet. If it helps, I recently had the fan replaced.

#5 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:28 AM

Sorry for the late reply, I had an unexpected busy day yesterday.

I meant the piece where the connecting-cord fits in on your MoBo. (GENTLY!)
As you mention your issues increase with temperatures, it's highly likely it is caused by 'defective' soldering somewhere along the connection of the chord between the MoBo and the monitor / screen.

The link beball mentioned won't help you much further I'm afraid.

The fact the external monitor seems to be working without a hitch also implies all hardware is in order, except for the connection.
Can you see any visual damage to any of the connecting components? Differences in coloration?
I've been searching for a good picture of the inside of your specific model laptop, but can't find any.

When / where did you get your laptop? <- Hardware-warranty?

-Sec

#6 idontknow1996

idontknow1996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I had an unexpected busy day yesterday.

I meant the piece where the connecting-cord fits in on your MoBo. (GENTLY!)
As you mention your issues increase with temperatures, it's highly likely it is caused by 'defective' soldering somewhere along the connection of the chord between the MoBo and the monitor / screen.

The link beball mentioned won't help you much further I'm afraid.

The fact the external monitor seems to be working without a hitch also implies all hardware is in order, except for the connection.
Can you see any visual damage to any of the connecting components? Differences in coloration?
I've been searching for a good picture of the inside of your specific model laptop, but can't find any.

When / where did you get your laptop? <- Hardware-warranty?

-Sec

Unfortunatly, I had a hard time opening my laptop, and I wasn't able to open it fully because the connection between the keyboard and the motherboard was in a tight place, so I couldn't take it out so I could open it completly. On top of that, I seem to have done something to my graphics card, because I am now receiving messages saying that I have no card installed (and my warrenty is up so I don't have that as an option).

I'm not sure if this piece of information is going to help, but it seems that my laptop screen only goes back to the normal, non-white form, when it is plugged into the external monitor.

Thanks for all your help so far.

#7 idontknow1996

idontknow1996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Okay, I have some good news, I was able to fix the acting-up graphics card, so that's one less thing I have to worry about. Hopefully I'll be able to fix this screen problem soon!

Oh! and scratch what I said about the external monitor putting it back to normal, it seems that when I run BIOS tests (and ones like it) seem to put it back to normal, whether it be only the duration of the test or for hours after the test.

Edited by idontknow1996, 18 July 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#8 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

I'm stumped... Need to Google a bit further I'm afraid...
In the future, could you be so kind to insert a "reason of EDIT", I read this topic 3x and got confused between your edits :P

-Sec

#9 idontknow1996

idontknow1996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

I'm stumped... Need to Google a bit further I'm afraid...
In the future, could you be so kind to insert a "reason of EDIT", I read this topic 3x and got confused between your edits :P

-Sec

Sorry about that!

And I have some more information to confuse you XD. While I was on it trying to find some reason as to why the screen is the way it is, the screen bean to flicker between white and normal, with colored verticle lines across the screen.

#10 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

I'm really sorry, but I guess it would be time to turn it in for hardware repairs then... :(
Sometimes the connector / chord between the MoBo and the screen can wear down, this can be fixed 'easily' but I think your screen itself is about to die.

-Sec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users