Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avgw.exe - Could It Be Spyware/virus/trojan?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 abrogard

abrogard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

I've got win2k here and this machine is running more slowly than usual I feel. Especially on the web.

I notice in the task list on task manager that avgw.exe is constantly working - at this very moment it is using 80% of cpu cycles.

I look it up and no one has a bad thing to say about it. They say it is AVG's natural work.

But I suspect it has been hijacked and replaced with a lookalike - else why work so hard when the machine is doing nothing? There is no system test going on. There is nothing going on, whatever, on my machine at this time except firefox and my typing this posting into your forum. But when I check task manager again I find avgw.exe is using 52% of cpu time.

Anyone got any ideas?

regards,

ab :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

Avgw.exe is a legitimate program for the anti-virus, and allows it to run in the background to check for viruses. Unless the file is somewhere on your computer it should not be, it is beneficial rather than harmless. If you do not want this kind of real time on-going protection, you could disable it, presumably by turning of its "resident shield."

You have already posted a HJT log for review by our team of experts, who may find other malware causing your problem. To avoid duplication of effort, and perhaps cross-interference, I suggest further replies await the outcome of the team review.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 06 March 2006 - 07:58 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users