Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken laptop screen, getting stuck during start up - how can I get it to connect to a new monitor

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 optimizt

optimizt

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

Last night my laptop slid off the couch and the screen hit the corner of the coffee table - bad news. I would be okay connecting it to a monitor and using it as a desktop, if I can get that to work. If it's just the screen, then I will replace that at some point. If it's more, I will scrap it for a new one, but I need to get it to boot to a working monitor to definitively decide.

The computer stayed "on" during the fall but all I could see was a rainbow, etc of a broken monitor. I really can't see much on the screen when I try to start it now, but I think it's getting stuck during boot-up, not making it to Windows and therefore not allowing me to connect to a second monitor as I normally would.

Can someone help me to get it to connect to a second monitor as the primary monitor?

The laptop is a Vaio VPC-EB-290X, purchased almost two years ago, running Windows7. I have at my availability a monitor or a TV which could connect with a 15-pin cord, USB, or HDMI.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:08 AM

Sounds like you HDD broke during the fall.

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

INTEL OVERCLOCKED rig (OLD)

Posted Image

#3 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

Can you actually see if the screen is damaged itself?

If it's completely turned off, is there any notable difference?

And for reference on your Video output:
PRESS FN + F7 during boot !!!

See http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=C81728&fes=true&mdl=VPCEB290X for more details about connecting an external monitor on your laptop.

And indeed, if your laptop was ON during the fall, the HDD probably endured damage as well.
If you can manage to boot through above instructions, please make a back-up of all your important data before anything else!

-Sec

#4 optimizt

optimizt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the replies.

When the computer is off, the screen looks normal, only looks damaged when on.

I will try to connect the external monitor tomorrow and see how it goes.

I was really hoping it would just be the monitor... =/

#5 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

The monitor would be our first priority...!

Let us know if you managed please,

-Sec

#6 optimizt

optimizt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

No luck getting it to recognize the monitor either on its own or by pressing Fn-F7.

It's not making any unusual sounds, but also not making the sounds it usually makes to get started. I can hear the fan come on, and the USB ports are working, but then nothing.

Advice?

#7 optimizt

optimizt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

Update:

We took out the hard drive and backed it up. Everything seems to be there and there were no errors copying over files. Good News!!!

Checked the memory and there are no visual abnormalities.

Disconnected and removed the broken screen. Tried again to boot up with the external monitor with no luck.

Thoughts?

#8 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:09 AM

Good to hear you retrieved all your personal data, however,
the fact you did not get errors during the copying of the files does not mean the drive is not damaged.
During the impact, at best, it's lifespan has been shortened.

RAM banks are quite sturdy with respect to sudden movement, and are virtually impossible to move inside their slots.
RAM is very vulnerable to variations in current and to static electricity.
To make sure the problem isn't RAM related I found the following link from Sony: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docTypeID=DT_KNOWLEDGEARTICLES_1_1&docType=kc&externalId=C390705

Please make sure you're grounded before touching / handling any delicate electrical components.

You could also remove ALL RAM banks, and boot the MoBo on itself.
You wouldn't get any visuals, but you should get "beeps"
If you do, please write down variatings in tone and length of the beeps.

-Sec

EDIT: While you're at it, please carefully check the whole MoBo for loose connectors, leaking capacitors, broken or torn parts, etc.

Edited by S3cS3arch3r, 17 July 2012 - 04:12 AM.

#9 optimizt

optimizt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

We made it through step six of the Sony link, couldn't get any further b/c we can't see anything.

Also did a visual inspection of the motherboard and did not see anything out of the normal.

After that, we let the computer boot and sit for about half an hour to see if it was possibly doing some sort of scan. When we came back, if you moved the mouse, you could see something moving behind the broken screen. This worked both with the laptop's mouse pad and a usb mouse. Still could not get it switch to either an analog monitor or HDMI to tv.

Also, we noticed that we can't make it make any sounds. Normally it would play a "song" when Windows start, chirp when we adjust the volume (keypad Fn-F4), and ding-dong when we plug in/remove from the USB ports.

#10 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

After reading everything I could find about your laptop here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCEB290X&LOC=3#/manualsTab

I found a relevant part on page 34 and 75-up on this document: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/VPCEB2_series.pdf

Which states that after pressing Fn + F7, the 'Enter' button should be pressed to select the display mode (screen / external / both)

Could you try several combinations please??, we really need an external monitor to work to check the rest..

-Sec

#11 optimizt

optimizt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

First, thanks so much for continuing to help me, I really appreciate it.

We have tried just about every combination of Fn+arrow+F7+Enter, Fn+Tab+F7+Enter, and plain old Fn+F7 we can think of with no luck.

We have noticed that hitting the space bar or enter makes a change on the screen. Hard to explain what exactly in words, but the colors shift. Also, hitting Esc+Enter causes the system to reboot.

What are the odds, do you think, that if I bought a new screen that we would at least be able to see something? I found one for $110, which is a little more than I can spend on a light chance, but better than needing to buy a new system...

#12 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

In what way is your external monitor hooked up?

HDMI?
DVI?
VGA 15-pin?

Try as much as possible please, and make sure the external monitor is on the right channel for the used connector.

If we can't get an external monitor to work, I am not sure if a replacement monitor would work, as there could be MoBo damage, indicated on screen, which we can't see.
Also, I'm heading over to a friend of mine tomorrow who has a rather similar Vaio, so I'll try to hook a monitor up to that for myself as well.
I'm not sure what to do next to be honest.. :/

-Sec

#13 optimizt

optimizt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

We have tried both VGA-15 pin and HDMI.

Thanks again!

#14 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

Sorry for the late reply again :(

I tested the external setup, but could not get the monitor going before getting to windows, it seems the Fn-keys are software related, thus cannot be used...
I'm really sorry, but I can't give you any descent advice further.

It seems worth it to test a 2nd hand screen, but you'll probably need some hands on help with that.
Also, any impact is highly dangerous to a laptop, especially when running, so I'm not really sure on how to continue here. Sorry.

-Sec

#15 optimizt

optimizt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

We've decided that we will try a replacement screen. Do you know of a reputable vendor?

The companies that Sony referred me to are prohibitively expensive. Ebay only has one of the proper parts and the listing seems sketchy. ScreenTek does not have that part anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users