Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Capture from TV to Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Genisay

Genisay

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hi,
I'm trying to do my own Let's Play for some friends on some of my older games that I can't get on my PC, and I'm wondering what exactly I need in order to take video from my TV and put it on my computer, rather then computer to TV as a second monitor. I looked up some things on video capture cards, and capture devices, but there were a lot of types to choose from, and I'm not sure which I actually need.

If anyone knows more about this and can point me to even a site where I can order one of what I would need, or compare prices, that would be great. Even just having a clearer idea of what is needed to so I could see if any local stores have them would help too.

Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:12 AM

Well it all depends on what quality you are wanting? The cheaper the capture device the worse the quality. And another option is to get a TV tuner, get TV working in Windows Media Center, and use a software program such as FRAPS to record. That is what I do.

And just to clear the air you cannot just use the recording feature in windows media center and expect it to work outside of windows media center which is why i suggested FRAPS.

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

INTEL OVERCLOCKED rig (OLD)

Posted Image

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

1. Most TV sets do not have a video out.
2. What is the source of the the signal t the TV, Antenna, Cable or Satellite TV, Gaming Console or?

How the signal gets to the TV that you want to capture will make a big difference in what hardware you need.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Genisay

Genisay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

Not sure on some of Rotor's response...I know most TVs do not have a video out, that is why I am asking about transfer or cature devices. And my game console, as I said in my post about wanting to do Let's Plays of games that don't have PC copies.

If I can even get Windows Media Center to play the video in real time on my computer as I do things, then I can stream it that way by simply assigning my stream record box to the vid display window on my Media Center. I can also use the stream to do recording. And I do think Media Center has a .WAV as well as a few other conversion options for saved vid,but I have not worked with it in a long time, so I could be wrong.
But thanks, I'll check out FRAPS and look into TV Tuners.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

What I was getting at indirectly by asking the source was:

1. What resolution
2. connection method, HDMI, Component, S-Video, Composite.

1 and 2 both make a difference in the suggested capture device.

I myself capture HD in 1080i or 720p using this one:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Features
Built-in hardware H.264 high definition encoder, for high performance, high quality TV recordings
Component video input (YCrCb or YPrPb) from most high definition cable TV and satellite TV receivers. Optical or stereo audio inputs.
Record high definition video at up to 1080i resolution, 720p or VGA/D1
Record at datarates from 1Mbs to 13.5Mbs, constant and Variable Bit Rate
Make Blu-ray compatible AVCHD recordings, so you can burn your TV recordings onto a standard DVD disc (up to 2 hours of video at 5MBits/sec) and playback on Blu-ray disc players
Includes HD software video player, so you can playback recordings to your PC screen
Audio / Video component video loop through to allow HD recording and viewing at the same time
High Performance Noise Reduction Function
NTSC,PAL and SECAM Support
IR receiver for remote control (the remote control is optional and is available on the Hauppauge webstore)
IR Blaster to change the TV channels in your set top box

It captures fine but you couldn't play games through it to the PC as it introduces a 2 second or so lag while the hardware encoder does its thing and puts it out via the USB post.

Hope this helps/clarifies
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Genisay

Genisay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Thanks all of you who posted. I do have some better ideas now on what I could do. Also looking into the alternate method of playing them on my computer by dumping the bios from the PS2 I own, and doing it the legal way. *scratches head* It's just....wow...a lot of stuff to sort through. I love how tutorials I have found talk about it like you already know what you are doing. Why would I be reading a tutorial then? *shakes head* XD

I'll look into some different kinds of tuners, and methods though too. The tuner would allow a broader application with out downloading platform specific software all of the time.

I could still try to do a stream play with the one you mentioned, Rotor. I would still be playing the game on my tv, so my guests on the stream would just see some leg, which is okay, we are kind of used to Stream making leg happen to begin with, so most of us are used to it by now.

Trial and error....ah, they seemed to be connected to all things, great or small. :P

Edited by Genisay, 31 August 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Just be aware that the HD PVR I use only accepts Component or S-Video or Composite for the Video inputs.
Originally you mentioned

I'm wondering what exactly I need in order to take video from my TV and put it on my computer, rather then computer to TV as a second monitor.

That would be capturing not streaming.
Not to mention that 5 Mbits/sec recording is kind of high for streaming.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users