Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I switch between 2 Mice?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TreeHugger

TreeHugger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

I am running windows 7 64 bit Home Edition. I have a wireless keyboard & mouse that are connected to my computer through a USB connection. I have an old game that I want to play, however, the optical mouse is not sensitive enough to play the game with. I have an old wheel type mouse with a USB coverter that I have plugged into my computer, however, Windows does not notice that anything new is plugged in when I plug in the wheel-type mouse. I have tried turning off my bluetooth mouse and it won't find the wheel-type mouse. I have even unplugged my bluetooth device that allows my keyboard and mouse to work and Windows 7 still will not notice that I plugged in a different mouse.

My goal is to use the wheel mouse and the bluetooth keyboard at the same time. Can anyone help with this?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Did you install the drivers for the 'other' mouse?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 TreeHugger

TreeHugger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

No, I took the mouse from my office. I don't have drivers for this mouse. It just says "Microsoft" on the mouse. It doesn't have a model number or anything.

#4 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:14 AM

A Microsoft mouse should work with whatever driver MS installs automatically.

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

INTEL OVERCLOCKED rig (OLD)

Posted Image

#5 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

• Are you sure the "new" mouse is working?
  • Are you sure the USB-converter (to PS-2 I guess?) is working?
  • Did you try unplugging the wireless one, shutting down the PC, inserting the "new" one and then reboot?
  • Did you try any other USB mouse?

And lastly, why are you calling a wireless set a bluetooth device?

\0/
-Sec

#6 TreeHugger

TreeHugger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

So i checked the mouse and it works without the adapter on another machine. I did a little more research and found the following, which I believe is the problem.

Purchase a PS/2 to USB adapter. A passive adapter will work fine with most desktop computers. However, if you want to connect an older PS/2 keyboard to a laptop computer, you will most likely need an active adapter that electronically translates the PS/2 signal into the USB protocol.

I purchased a "passive" adapter (cost me $2) and need to make sure that I purchase an "active" adapter, which costs $10, instead. Thank you all for your time.

#7 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

For the same buck, you could instead also just buy an USB mouse in the first place.

Thanks for sharing :)

-Sec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users