Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A walk though request for updating a computer with 32 & 64 bit Java

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hello July 14, 2012
My computer is a Win 7 64 Bit desktop
I would like to ask for a walk through to help update my JAVA
Quietman7 had answered a recent topic about McAfee blocking a supposed Java update. He included a link : Verify Java Version installed.
I did this and it shows Java 6 update 31 with a recommendation to install Java 7 update 5
Looking at installed programs I see:
Java 6 update 23 ( 64 bit)
Java 6 update 31

I assume I will need the regular 32 bit versions and the 64 bit version.
The Java site offers both for an offline installation.
The procedure I think will be recommended is as below.

Download Windows Offline 32 bit and save to desktop.

Download Windows Offline 64 bit and save to desktop.

Go to installed programs and remove both Java 6 update 23 ( 64 bit)
& Java 6 update 31

Restart computer.
Install the downloads that were saved to desktop

???? Should I do the 32 bit or 64 bit first or does it matter?????????

I use this computer for my small business and tend to be very paranoid about messing something up. I am a little confused about needing both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version. A review of what I have written by a certified helper would be most appreciated. If something is not proper please let me know.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

Hi -
You only need to download the 64bit version, as that matches your system quoted above.

•Download the latest version of >> Windows Offline << from here and save it to your desktop.
•Get the Offline version that corresponds to your version of your Windows (32-bit or 64-bit)
How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system
•Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser(s).
•Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, select Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features and remove all older versions of Java.
•Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE or Java) in the name.
•Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
•Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
•Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
•Then from your desktop double-click on jre-7u5-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.( jre-7u5-windows-x64.exe if this is a 64-bit Windows o.s.)

Logoff and Restart fresh.
Get and run JavaRa from HERE
Download -- to your Desktop -- JavaRa.Zip from either of these two sites:
•Unzip the download. This will create a new Folder, JavaRa on your Desktop.
•Double click this new Folder to open it, and double click the file within: JavaRa to execute the program.
•Click the button: Remove Older Versions.
•Agree to the cleanup operation by clicking Yes. After a moment, a notice will appear that a log file has been produced. Click OK. Close the Notepad view that opens.
•Click the button: Other Tasks. Choose these options:
Remove Useless JRE Files
Remove Startup Entry
Remove JavaRa Logfile

•Click Go. When it finishes, click OK to close the panel, and then Exit the program.
•Delete the download, and the unzipped folder and all contents.
Logoff & Restart once more (just to be safer ). Also make sure all your browsers are closed at this point.

EDIT -
Reprinted with permission from ~ Maurice Naggar MS-MVP (Oct 2002 - Sept 2010)

Edited by noknojon, 15 July 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

I am a little confused about needing both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version.

For what do you use Java? Is it only for Internet Explorer?
Then which version of Internet Explorer do you use, 32-bit or 64-bit?
If you don't know, open the Help / About Internet Explorer dialog. Does it say 64-bit Edition or not?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the replies Noknojon and Didier
The only thing I really know about Java is that if I don't do my updates horrible things can attack.
There was some information on the Java site about 64 bit systems.

SUMMARY
64-bit Windows operating systems (which may be Windows 7, Vista or XP) come with a 32-bit Internet Explorer (IE) browser as the standard (default) for viewing web pages. These operating systems also include a 64-bit Internet Explorer browser, however using it is optional and it must be explicitly selected to view web pages. Note that because some web content may not work properly in a 64-bit browser, we recommend using the default 32-bit browser and downloading 32-bit Java.

At the moment I am on my laptop. I will check the desktop later today to try and determine what versions of IE and FF are on it. I only use FF but need to have the capability to use IE for those programs that can only be run with it.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#5 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hello Again July 16, 2012
Checking all programs I see two IE programs. One marked (64 Bit) and on that is not marked so I assume that it is 32 Bit
FireFox shows version 13.0.1 . In the task manager processes I see that FF is 32 bit
Java installed programs are shown as :
Java 6 update 23 ( 64 bit)
Java 6 update 31
In all honesty I do not have a clue if I do need both Java versions however to maintain the current capability of the computer I would prefer to update both properly.
The Java site has offline versions of both 32 and 64 bit. Also had this information below download links:

We have detected you may be viewing this page in a 32-bit browser. If you use 32-bit and 64-bit browsers interchangeably, you will need to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Java in order to have the Java plug-in for both browsers.

If I proceed as outlined in Noknojon’s post but download both the 32 and 64 bit versions can anyone advise which version should be installed first or will it matter??

Also any potential conflict with the JavaRa tool if both versions are installed??
I really do appreciate advise and feedback! Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

I have Googled "Download both the 32 and 64bit versions of Java" and due to the many results I would prefer you to look at the results first.

Most seem to say (basically) it is OK to do this, as some apps use 32bit and some use 64bit on a 64bit system -

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

In all honesty I do not have a clue if I do need both Java versions however to maintain the current capability of the computer I would prefer to update both properly.

You can install different versions of Java side-by-side on the same machine, so I see no problem with having 32-bit and 64-bit Java. I find no recommendation from Oracle about the order of installation of 32-bit and 64-bit Java.

But do you use a (commercial) application that requires Java? If you do, check the installation requirements of this program.

If you only need Java for IE, then there is no problem updating.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users