Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Password Security Breach

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Catwoman

Catwoman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:22 PM

I am unable to finish this post due to a power outage at work that deleted most of the body of this post before I could finish it. I will try to give more details tomorrow but have to leave work now. In short my former supervisor (5150) is logging onto my computer after hours, into the administrator profile, and re-setting my password so that I cannot log into my profile. She is no longer a supervisor but evidently still has access to the administrator passwords and privileges. I think she is still remotely accessing my desktop as well. She sabotages my work, deletes files, reports and emails, etc. We use Windows XP Professional and are part of a large interdepartmental network (City of Los Angeles). Any suggestions about how I can keep her out of my computer? Any way I can prove what she is doing?

Edited by Catwoman, 06 March 2006 - 07:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:43 PM

What is your problem that you are having? (more details please)

#3 FunTech

FunTech

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

There are many ways that she could be logging on to your computer, the most likely, since it is built into Windows XP Professional is Remote Desktop.
You can disable Remote Desktop by RIGHT clicking MY COMPUTER (either in your Start Menu or on your Desktop).
Click the REMOTE tab, and see if the ALLOW USERS TO CONNECT REMOTELY TO THIS COMPUTER is checked. By default this setting is turned OFF, so if it checked, then this is most likely how she has been accessing your computer.
If it wasn't checked, then she is probably using one of many 3rd party software programs, and it's next to impossible to guess which one. I may be able to help one of two ways, Either download and install Hijack This: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html scan your system and save the log. For security reasons, I recommend that you go to my website, and send the log file to my email, so I can try to determine what program she is using.
OR
Go to my website, contact me, and we can make arrangements to perform a remote assistance, and I can bring up your MSCONFIG and see what programs you have in the startup to determine how she is accessing your computer.
Best wishes,
Rich
FunTech

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:13 PM

As your PC is part of a network, you may not be able to diaable Remote Desktop.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

Catwoman,

Actually, you need to contact a supervisor in your security department about
this breech. Any other actions you take may be a violation of policy where
you work, or of the law.

It is very nice for FunTech to offer you help through remote assistance,
but it is wise to remember that by giving someone access to remote assistance
they will have full control over your computer.
It is therefore only advised to do remote assistance with those you personally know and trust.

good luck,
Koan

Edited by KoanYorel, 07 March 2006 - 03:14 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:38 PM

Your safe option is to contact your system administrator and have him\her address the problem. In corporate LAN it can cost you your job by tampering with company software. The supervisior in charge of IS/IT will know immediatly when you modify your system. They will probably have logs of your former supervisior accessing your work computer. That too may be an offense that could result in discipline or termination.
It is tempting to handle this yourself, but I am reluctant to suggest you risk your job/career modifing your OS and possibly violating you company/dept.'s computer policies.

IMHO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:42 PM

The network administrator can look at logs that show access and times of access. Report this to the proper administration official asap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users