Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Mini 110-1100 Hard drive Issue

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

Computer Info straight from the BIOS screen:

Model: HP Mini 110-1100
Product Num: VF704AV
System Board ID: 308F

Intel ATOM
CPU: N270 @ 1.60 GHz
Processor: 1600 MHz
Memory: 1024M (1 Gig)

Bios: F.18
KBC: 02.10

Hard Drive is a

SATA: PM-ST9160314A

Haven't been on here in a long time but remember the excellent and accurate advice I had received from previous issues. Today is a new one. I am fixing an HP Mini for a friend, and seem to have got myself in a pickle. This is my first laptop without a ROM drive so I had to plug an external one in. When the laptop came to me it had a non-genuine copy of Windows 7 on it and he didn't want this on there. So I tried to install a bonafide and genuine copy of Windows XP at his request; however, when I get to the screen where it wants to format the hard drive the setup process tells me I do not have a hard drive. So I became frustrated with this (after several attempts) and decided to erase the hard drive. Not just format, but sanitized it since I figured this non-genuine copy had somehow corrupted the hard drive or a massive viral infection. I used DBAN to sanitize the hard drive and went to install Windows XP on it and to no avail the same issue arose. There is not a hard drive installed. I am needing some assistance in what might fix my issue.

From what I understand, these HP Mini laptops do not have an optical hard drive and this has left me stumped.

1. Went to Wally World and got a LiteOn 8x USB powered DVD ROM. I returned that ROM drive fearing there was not enough power and fast enough reading to get XP on the laptop. So I returned it.
2. Ended up at Best Buy and got a LG GE24 External 24x with a maximum 48x read speed and which also came with a power supply cord. And ended up with the same issue of the Windows Setup not being able to find a hard drive.

I am not sure whether I need to also plug in an external hard drive (500 tetra) and somehow transfer the setup files, but don't see how I can since I can't seem to get the hard drive in the laptop to even be found. However, it is found in the BIOS and the final report from DBAN that the hard drive is present. Just not in the installation process of Windows XP. I did not format the hard drive after I sanitized it because I wasn't sure if it needed to be. But even if it does, I do not know how to get to DOS without an OS to work off of.

Frustrated and boggled.

Thank you so much for your time and look forward to getting this issue resolved.

Nikki

Edited by Nikki Rockstar, 14 July 2012 - 12:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hello,

I believe I know what the issue is here. Windows xp probably does not have the drivers to be able to recognize the hard drive. Can you turn over the netbook and tell me what the label says on the bottom as far as where it says model #, so i can try and find the right drivers as I have seen some have luck with doing it that way. Although most just recommend that you use genuine media from hp for an install of windows xp as that usually has the correct drivers already on the disc. It has been a while since I have played around with windows xp install on a newer machine so anyone else feel free reply if you know where the drivers are or can help out a bit. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

On the bottom side of this little laptop, there is not any other information other than Serial and Product Numbers. But I can tell you the Windows XP Proof Of License Tag that is on the bottom side of this machine.

It says:

Windows XP Home Edition ULCPC
HP
(Bar code here)
503776-001
00043-113-352-372
(Another Barcode Here)
(Product Key Here)

If there is something else I need to be looking for, please let me know. I can always snap a picture of it and post it, if the info I posted is not the correct one.

Thank you so much for your help and time.

Edited by Nikki Rockstar, 14 July 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hello again,

Alright, after some help from a friend on the forum and me kick starting my brain, you need to have the AHCI driver for windows xp to even see the drive. Now on most machines there is an option to change that to IDE in the bios but unfortunately on these netbooks it appears that option doesn't exist. There is a way to load the required drivers on during the install process using a usb floppy drive but I doubt you will have the required items to do this. If you can find a windows 7 disc that is legal I would just use that. Or if you can get the hp windows xp install disc that should have come with that netbook that would allow you to install xp on it with no issue I believe if you dont and you would like to get some you can always order them through hp for a cost. That can be found here: Hp link and it will be under Order Recovery Media - CD/DVD/USB.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

If you could please elaborate a little on the "required items to do this" part, I would be grateful. This system has multiple USB ports and I have access to quite a bit of items (pending Murphy's Law doesn't interrupt). LOL... Since I need to put this AHCI driver in, I would like to know what I need to do. And I don't have a copy of Windows 7 and by the looks at of the laptop, I think it came with XP. I have XP Home and XP Professional discs. I might have confused myself, are you implying that Windows 7 has this driver already in the setup files? If I was able to get this AHCI driver onto a USB, could I use the F6 option to install a 3rd party driver at the very beginning of the XP setup?

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hello,

Yes windows 7 already has the required drivers. For you to get the right drivers for xp to install you need to have a usb floppy drive (the correct one might I add since only certain ones work) and you will need the proper floppy disk bear in mind that I cannot guarantee that windows install will even be able to use the floppy drive.

To make this easier for you this method here should work it basically installs the driver into the windows xp install disc:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

the driver you need is here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=18668

it is the first .zip file.

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

~Computerxpds
sigcomp.png 

#7 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

I would like to thank you for your Softpedia link and look forward to utilizing it in my new attempt at this interesting and irritating laptop. I am going to try this method in the morning after I have reset my brain and enjoy a rather STRONG cup of coffee. :woot: I will be sure to post my questions and results from the experiment. Thank you for your time and am grateful for your help.

Best regards,

Nikki

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

You are very welcome, I will be waiting to hear how you did as I too have a similar netbook/laptop but i run linux on it.

~Computerxpds
sigcomp.png 

#9 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Good morning...

Currently I have come to an issue with the NLite setup files. I can't seem to get the program to run through setup on Windows Vista so I have come to a friends house, per instructions, and trying it on Windows 7. I am feeling pretty optimistic and still positive at this point and not near as frustrated as I was yesterday.

I run Linux on my Dell XPS system and wouldn't change back to Windows on my personal unit ever again. Use a laptop with Windows XP but it is having issues. My second back up has Windows Vista (that I hate) but is useful sometimes.

Calmer than Yesterday,

Nikki

Edited by Nikki Rockstar, 15 July 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#10 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hello there again,

I have my first question. I am not sure if there is only one driver I need or multiple. I have a mode option to choose Regular PNP Driver or Text Mode Driver where I have a list of driver options to choose from during this Integration Process in NLite. I don't know what driver I need to be looking for. A few examples of my options are (and I am listing ones that have the AHCI driver):

Intel® 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller
Intel® 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller
Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller
Intel® ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller
Intel® ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller

The options are plentiful.

Do I need one or multiple drivers? If multiple, do you happen to know which ones they are?

/edit... I am Googling to see if I can find it(them) myself but could use the help if you happen to know
/edit #2...Went to HP.com and tried to find the driver used for the model I am fixing and was unsuccessful

Starting to lose my positive attitude, :)

Nikki

Edited by Nikki Rockstar, 15 July 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#11 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

I think I found the right driver, but am going to wait for your confirmation before I select it...

Intel® ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller

After Googling: 'hp mini 110 1100 sata driver xp'

Reference:

http://www.driveridentifier.com/scan/download.php?item_id=93692714&scanid=7F4C0B0E954646828050D3272588B20F&hardware_id=PCI%5CVEN_8086%26DEV_27C5%26CC_0106

EDIT: I have not downloaded anything from the above website. I downloaded the driver from the link you gave me, I am just unclear as to the name of the exact driver.

Edited by Nikki Rockstar, 15 July 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#12 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

Could you go to BIOS Setup and navigate the Configuration options to locate the Native-SATA setting, if you could find it you just need to disable it and start winxp installation but if the BIOS does not have a setting to disable the native-SATA settings, you may have to use a procedure called slipstreaming to install XP.
If you need some tutorial to add SATA driver you could read this.
Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers Guide and help for XP and W2k3 (32/64bit)

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#13 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Thank you Abauw for your suggestion. I am currently still attempting a different method and if that method does not work, I will definitely consider your method after researching. Just trying to keep anymore confusion from happening. Thank you so much for your input and suggestion.

Best regards,

Nikki

Edited by Nikki Rockstar, 15 July 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#14 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

Honestly it will be same method with what are you doing right now but in a different way :whistle:
If you need Intel® ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller you could download it from that tutorial <_<
If you doesn't want to create slipstreaming CD (in you case, this will be need for create bootable USB drive) you could try go to BIOS Setup and find Native-SATA setting, on HP Netbook sometimes have this setting and sometimes it doesn't have it but try to find it first will save you some times.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#15 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

As I am currently working with the original method of what computerxpds advised, I am having an issue with NLite. When I select the drive letter from within the NLite program where the installation files are found, NLite will not let me select the E:\ Drive. However, I am able to create a new folder of where I want these customized files written and saved. However, the 566MB of info that should be customized, I am only yielding 470MB of data customized and burned into an ISO. I have created an ISO on a DVD-R and when I place it into the HP Mini to boot and engage F9 to state where I want the computer to boot from, nothing happens. There is not a setup process. I feel like I am missing a step somewhere and I have followed the instructions step by step. I have created another boot disc and about to try it.

If this doesn't work, I have taken images of what my screen shows. One thing I have noticed, is my Servic Pack is a 0 instead of SP1 or SP2. Not sure if that means anything. Or the fact that all I have are DVD-R instead of CDs (not sure if it makes a difference).

UPDATE 3:45pm 7-15-2012

I must have had a bad dvd during my first attempt as my second dvd seems to be working. I am currently installing Windows XP with the Intel Driver and so far so good.

Edited by Nikki Rockstar, 15 July 2012 - 03:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users