Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping win7 gets stuck after boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dbbd

Dbbd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

My HTPC runs win7 32bit.

For whatever reason, it now fails to work.
The boot works fine. It then logs me in automatically, I get either the welcome screen or the desktop,
then the cursor hang still, the disk stops churning, and the windows is frozen solid. It does not respond to any key combination familiar with, nor to the mouse.

I ran the rescue disk boot troubleshooter, but that's for early stage problems.
I used msconfig to disable all startup programs, ran combofix, lookes at ntbtlog.txt,
moved to the previous automatic recovery point, still the same issue.

I'd rather not format and reinstall. I'm desperately looking for ways to save it.
Any ideas?

thanks,
dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hello and :welcome: to Bleepingcomputer!

Can you please post the specs of the machine. Also is there a reason behind you running combofix? Do you suspect malware may be present on the machine?

If you can boot to safe mode please do the following:
1. Click start type in cmd wait for it to find it and right click and click run as administrator.

2. Enter in chkdsk /r then hit enter. A prompt will show asking you if you want to schedule a disk check on next restart, enter y then hit enter.

3. Restart the computer and let it run the disk check and when its finished it will restart.

Hope this helps,

~Computerxpds

Edited by computerxpds, 14 July 2012 - 12:56 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Dbbd

Dbbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for the answer.
I ran chkdsk, it completed without any errors. But after the system rebooted it stuck again at the welcome screen.

The system is a custom build using gigabyte mb, e6750 processor, ATI HD5450, and 2 sata drives.
It runs almost nothing except xbmc and event ghost using a USB-uirt, it also serves as a backup target.

I ran combo fix because someone suggested it in some other forum (where I learnt of this one)
I do not suspect malware or viruses since this system does not download anything not do I install anything unnecessary on it, not even windows updates.

The hd5450 is my suspect for some time now, it looses the sound. But I suspect this is due to the AMD lousy drivers, not hardware. I plan to replace that card with a passive gt430.
Anyway all this is an answer to your question on the spec. Not because I think it is relevant to the problem.

Dan

Edited by Dbbd, 14 July 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

This only happens when you try to boot windows in normal mode correct? It has no issues in safe mode right? If so, I would suspect its a driver. Try updating your chipset drivers and your graphics driver. Can you tell me your mobo model so I can point you to the chipset drivers. But this could very well be a graphics issue such as the card not functioning right or the driver is not working correctly.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

I ran combo fix because someone suggested it in some other forum (where I learnt of this one)
I do not suspect malware or viruses since this system does not download anything not do I install anything unnecessary on it, not even windows updates.

Dan

Regarding Combofix, someone is very misguided about Combofix if that person mentioned it as way to troubleshoot/fix computer issues. The only thing using it did was waste your time running it.

Combofix is not meant to "fix" general computer problems.

ComboFix is a program, created by sUBs, that scans your computer for known malware, and when found, attempts to clean these infections automatically.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Publisher's Description From sUBs: Combofix was designed to scan a computer for known malware, spyware (SurfSideKick, QooLogic, and Look2Me as well as any other combination of the mentioned spyware applications) and remove them. http://download.cnet.com/Combofix/3000-8022_4-75221073.html

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 July 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#6 Dbbd

Dbbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

Well, I lost all hope.
I re-installed, everything's well now.

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic